• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are my odds?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jpnguyen21

What is the name of your state? CA

Heading northbound in lane 1 on some road A. Total lanes going both directions is 4. Enter an intersection and the other party is leaving a westbound lane(road B) of the intersection and making a left turn and trying to head southbound. We collide, my front end against her driver's side fender.

Who's at fault in this case?
No witnesses;
No police investigator;

my statement is that I ran a yellow at 20-25mph and was in the intersection when she began pulling out of her lane. I slam on the brakes and we collide. Reminder, many traffic lights in Los Angeles change color immediately. IE when a south/northbound lane changes to red, east/westbound lanes change to green, zero delay.

My attorney says the worst case scenario will be 50/50

ecmst12

WORST case scenario would put you more at fault since the other car was already in the intersection when you hit her.

If she says her light was green and you say yours was yellow, that puts you more at fault as well.

If both parties claim the green light, and there are no witnesses to clarify who is correct, BOTH companies will usually deny the other's claim.

ecmst12

Better to tell the truth. If you knew the light was yellow, then you should have been yielding - that's what "proceed with caution" means. So I'd say you were at fault, absent some ironclad proof that she ran a red.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">