• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are my options?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Kevin R

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

I was in an accident, I thought I had insurance, but it had lapsed. I slid through a stop sign, down a hill into another cars path. He hit mine. I was not ticketed. My car is a 92 buick Lesabre LTD. His 90 2dr Nissan Sentra XE. They stated over the phone, that if it was too much to repair, they would take a few hundred dollars to get the son a different car. I then got a letter they had taken the car to 2 dealerships to give estimates. One for 3,200 the other for 2,400. The car is valued online by Kelly Blue Book for 900 to 925. This is with the exact options from the estimates. Both estimates state that the car is totaled, but it is fully drivable.(minus 1 headlamp).

The father demands now quick payment of the lesser number. I do not make much money, and by the time anyone responds to this, I will have aquired new car insurance.

What are my options and what should I do?? Do I offer 450?? or 900, and ask for the car??

Thank you for all of your help!

You asked: "What are my options and what should I do?? "

Your options are:

1.) Pay.

2.) Don't pay.

What can you do?: What you feel is correct.

Think about it, you caused the accident and thus are liable for the damages. Since you were not insured at the time of the loss then you are responsible to pay for the actual case value of the car at the time of the loss.

K

Kevin R

I am sorry I failed to mention that it was snowing. I slid through snow, and the police officer that came by to file the report also slid in the snow through a stop sign, that is why he did not give me a ticket.

K

Kevin R

Juan,
What I am asking is do I pay the 900(value of the car) or do I pay the estimate??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">