• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what next? auto wreck and settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sydtx

I live in Texas. Bought brand new 2000 Suburban had 2-3 weeks and a young inexperienced driver (17) lost control on wet streets and hit front left of vehicle. She did $3,000 worth of damage. Trooper cited other driver and found her at fault. I don't want to get an atty. but I'm not sure if that is the smart thing to do.
Her insurance admitted liability. My suburban was in the shop for one month. Longer than I owned it. I went to ER they said I had a sprained neck, contusion left side of head (hit side window); left shoulder pain from banging on door. I feel fine now I was treated with muscle relaxers and was given a neck collar to wear.
I would like fair compensation and don't know what to ask for besides the obvious: medical from ER, x-rays, prescriptions, 2 days missed work, and rental car reimbursement. In addition to that can I ask for compensation for having to cancel my daughters b-day party that was planned for the following day? can I ask for compensation for the couple of weeks following because of the depression I went through about the accident happening to my brand new prized suburban that took me months to find and will take me 60 months to pay for and it's a wrecked vehicle now? can I ask for more than the $200 wages I lost using 2 sick days? Her insurance company has paid for the damages to my vehicle and now I need direction to handle the personal injury claims and other reimbursements. PLEASE ADVISE!
Thank you!

C

cdcard

Dear sydtax:
Yes, yes, yes, and yes. All of these losses you listed are compensable. However, the trick is coming up with a valuation that both you and the other insurer can agree to. The out-of-pocket stuff is easy; you merely submit receipts. But all that other stuff is difficult. What you may want to do is consult with a local personal injury attorney to come with an appropriate valuation. And just because you consult with an attorney doesn't mean you have to hire; just pay him/her for the consultation time. If you decide you want legal counsel, you should be able to find one who will take your case on a contingency fee basis (ie, attorney fees are paid out of the settlement check, not your pocket book). If there any indications of future medical bills, then I STRONGLY encourage you to talk to a local PI attorney. When you make your appointment, bring all your bills and a list of questions with you; it will help maximize your consultation time. Best of luck to you.

S

sydtx

Dear cdcard,

Thank you for responding to my questions. I think I may consult with an attorney after all.

Sincerely,
Syd

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">