• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what is the next step?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Thomas31

What is the name of your state? Missouri

Hello,
I was recently involved in a collision where debris fell off a truck which caused a series of accidents. The car in front of me stopped abruptly and I had hit the bumper. I have paid $1000 through my insurance company to cover the costs of that car whereas my car has suffered about $5000 in damages.
I appeared in court a few days ago and had plead not guilty to the following charge:

Columbia Municipal Ordinance 14-161 reads in part:

"the driver of any vehicle shall at all times exercise the highest degree of care to avoid striking or colliding with any vehicle, cycle, or pedestrian upon any roadway or shall, when approaching any stopped or parked vehicle, child, any obviously confused or incapacitated person or any other pedestrian on a roadway, exercise the highest degree of care to avoid injury or damage."

They have given me another date for the trial and my next step is to meet with the prosecuting attorney where they will review the advice.
Also, the car that I had hit was an undercover police officer. I do not want this mark against my license. Can anyone advise me as to whether I should change my plea to guilty, pay the fine, and have the mark against my record or is there anything I can do to avoid this.

Thanks!

zippysgoddess

Since they had to stop, due to the debri in the road, and you hit them, yes, you are at fault. Just as the law says, it is your responsiblity to have control of your vehicle at all times, regardless of what other traffic is doing, road, or weather conditions.

That is why you are supposed to drive with a cushion between and any vehicle that you are following, so you can stop just in these types of situations. You can protest and plead guilty all you want, but more than likely you will still end up with the fines and the marks on your driving record.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">