• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what recourse do I have?- car totalled by other driver with no liability ins.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

stevebtx

I am looking for advice or suggestions on what actions I can take on another driver. I was involved in a two car accident on Monday (11/13/00). The accident occurred in Pasadena, TX. My car and the other vehicle were both totalled. The accident was the other driver's fault. He was cited for running a red light and also no liability insurance. There was a witness to the accident. I was taken to the hospital ER by ambulance and treated and released. Luckily I only suffered contusions and abrasions to my knees, arms and shoulders and no broken bones. I did not get a chance to exchange information with the other driver at the time but I got a copy of the accident report and found out who he was and that he did not have liability insurance. He gave the officer no phone # to be reached at. I went to the court house and got a copy af the title registration and found out that both the driver (19 y.o.) and his father were both listed as the owner's of vehicle. An auto dealer was also listed as the first lien holder. I called the auto dealer and he said the driver had bought the vehicle approx. 6 months ago but had stopped making payments on it about 2 months ago. The auto dealer also said that he had received a notice a few months after he had sold the car that the insurance was calcelled. He was fixing to repossess the car. I have been unable to locate the driver so far. Do I have a case against the driver or father (or both) or event the car dealer (since he still had a lien) and what are my chances of collecting anything?

iggy367

This Bites

There's nothing worse than an insurance and credit deadbeat. If you have collision insurance for your car put the claim in now and get your car and especially your meds taken care of. If you don't have collision then you can go after the father and son as joint owners and see if an attorney or yourself can eventually find out if they have anything to even go after, so far it doesn't sound promising. The dealer is just the creditor and doesn't hold ownership or responsibility for the car. Otherwise, you'll just have to hope and pray for a break on the whereabouts and assets to show themselves later. But the kid probably pissed off Dad and Dad said, fine you want to be a man then you pay for the car and see how far you get, mr. man. And the kid figured he'll just drive for as long as he can, I don't have anything to go after anyway. But, Dad might :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">