• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What should I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shwetwe

I am in Texas. I has a small accident in our private apartment parking lot. Here is the story:
I saw a small toyota truck parked where I used to back up from my parking space. I did not see any one in the car. The car does not have permit and not belong to our parking lot. Moreover it is parked right next to No Parking sign. I did not bother asking about the owner since I do not know whose it is and it is parked there over 10 minutes. I see that I could get out even though I cannot back up the whole way. So I proceed. And suddently I hear a scratch. So where I get out I see the car owner behind the wheel. I am not so sure if his car is running but my wife said it is. He claims he just waiting to see my backing up and it is my fault.

I feel stupid mentioning how accident occurs because the demage is mininal. He got a small scratch on his gray color front bumper. No crack or anything. The scratch will probably disappear if it is polished. My back bumper got a hole from a screw on his bumper. The screw is for the number plate and he does not have number plate so the screw kind of sticking out and punch a small hole on my bumper. I was just going to say sorry and let it go. I had no plan to make him responsible for the demage to my bumper. But I think, the guy wants to squeeze me out for money, he start shouting and told me that I am paying for his bumper repair. He was so rude that he sware use f word on my wife. It makes my blood pressure spike. Our apartment has less than 12 units and everyone is upset by his behaviour.

Anyway, I handed in my insurance and asked for his. And he said he cannot give it to me as it is my fault. So I took back my insurance saying I believe it is not my fault. He said he will report to police and drove off. I went to police and ask the advice. They gave me accident report form to protect myself if he claims that I hit and run or something. The form is for the demage over $1000 and it does nto apply to my case at all. I also called my insurance and asked if I file that police report, will it be on my record and she said yes.

So I am not sure what to do.
I would like to know if he can cause any problem to me such as claiming I hit and run without giving him insurance or made more demage than a scratch?

He does not have my insurace info, but he has my plate number. Can he claim my insurance for such a small scratch?

Whose fault insurace company likely to say it is. If it is true that he is stationary and I hit him, will his illegal parking counts against him?

Every police reports go to insurance company even if it is not your fault? And if the report goes to insurace company, does your premium increases even if it is not your fault?

Please advice. This is my first time having accident during 5 years driving record. I would like to have my record clean.

R

Raisinette

You are backing out of a parking space in a parking lot and you hit a vehicle that you have seen parked behind you. In the states I am familiar with, you would be liable for damages to the vehicle.

Give him your insurance information IF you do not want to be taken to court. You MAY be able to keep it off of your insurance record IF you can afford and are willing to pay the owner directly for them. This will probably work only if you are sincere, quick and not argumentative. It may be too late for this approach.

I do not know if your insurance will increase. Probably. I do not know if the driver of the other car would be held partially responsible for the collision by virtue of being illegally parked. In the states I am familiar with, this would not lessen your negligence in colliding with a parked vehicle.

S

shwetwe

I like to solve this out but we did not get there since he started with shouting and swaring. Considering a small I cause on his bumper, I was shocked and feel like I am his old time enemy.
Here is a link to the pic of his bumper. Blue paint near the screw is from my rare end bumper. Tip of his bumper is scratched with side of my bumper.

http://pic15.picturetrail.com/VOL576/2708536/5415933/69293372.jpg

May be he thinks I want to make him responsible for the demage to my bumper and he just starts shouting and yelling. I wish I was more calmer. Any way I am worry that he would make a big deal involving court and stuff. I really do not have time and never been to one.

Zaw

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">