• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What Should I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

viralpatel15

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts.

HI, I am from Lowell, MA but this accident occurred in New Jersey. I was coming out hotel after dinner, and one car came and hit me. That car was going straight but it had enough time to slow down or may be stop the vehicle. The Driver was a girl and this is my guess that she was talking with her mom or boy friend sitting next to her. Whatever could be the reason, they insisted not to call the cops and I agreed.

They requested 200$ amount and I agreed to pay them by 2 days. They took my Drivers Licence Number and Car Plate Number.

Now, They are asking 800+ Dollars which I feel is much more.

If I insist to go to Insurance Company, what will be the outcome? Please guide me what should I do, which can cost me minimum at this moment?

S

seniorjudge

Sorry, but I do not understand what happened here.

Who hit who?

In any event, call your insurance company and report the accident. You might, however, be running into some problems because you didn't call the cops.

There are a lot of folks here who are experts in this kind of things and I am not one of them.

But clarify what happened so those folks can help you.

JETX

I would assume from the VERY rough information provided (and the subsequent agreement to pay) that the writer pulled out in front of the other driver, and would therefore (if correct) be liable for the damages the other driver incurred.

I assume he is trying out a defense that, even though he admits fault (via payment agreement), that the other driver somehow was at least partially at fault by "That car was going straight but it had enough time to slow down or may be stop the vehicle".

Grant-RTG

Yes, little information.

But if you all agreed on $200.00 then that should be it.

But to be safe, might need to go to the insurance company. However they might not put a claim if there isn't a police report.

Lynx 36

Quote: "However they might not put a claim if there isn't a police report."

Wrong. You don't need a PR to file a claim. Insurance companies determine liability in an accident, not cops. I use PR's f/ info. only. I ask my own questions and determine who is at fault. About 40% of the PR's I get are proven wrong in some fashion anyway. Unless the cop actually witnessed the collision there isn't a lot of weight to a pr. In KY unless the cop witnessed the accident they are not even admissable in court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">