• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What should I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dstewman

What is the name of your state? Georgia
On 12-06-05 - I was hit by a old lady who ran a stop sign on a side street and hit me. My compact truck rolled completely over and landed back on its wheels. A total loss. I was taken to the ER with severe back pain. The old lady was given a ticket and is at fault. I was told that the x-rays did not show any fractures, ect. I have a history of arthritis in my back -but nothing that has ever hurt like this. My truck is a 1991 Ford Ranger XLT that has had 4 Thousand dollars worth of customizations. A V-8 motor, headers, overdrive transmission, ect. Originally my truck had a high mileage 4 cylinder engine. My truck was paid for and I only carried Liability Insurance. This truck was my only form of transportation. Can I be reimbursed for the customizations? Towing expenses? rental car? Medical Bills? What all am I entitled too? What should I do? How do I get started? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

DGO1223

dstewman said:
What is the name of your state? Georgia
On 12-06-05 - I was hit by a old lady who ran a stop sign on a side street and hit me. My compact truck rolled completely over and landed back on its wheels. A total loss. I was taken to the ER with severe back pain. The old lady was given a ticket and is at fault. I was told that the x-rays did not show any fractures, ect. I have a history of arthritis in my back -but nothing that has ever hurt like this. My truck is a 1991 Ford Ranger XLT that has had 4 Thousand dollars worth of customizations. A V-8 motor, headers, overdrive transmission, ect. Originally my truck had a high mileage 4 cylinder engine. My truck was paid for and I only carried Liability Insurance. This truck was my only form of transportation. Can I be reimbursed for the customizations? Towing expenses? rental car? Medical Bills? What all am I entitled too? What should I do? How do I get started? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
First off, what kind of ins. does she have?
Probably won't get anything out of the vehicle except usual truck value, nothing for customizations.
What do your Drs. say about any future medical issues for you? Have you had any treatment?
Have you spoken with her insurance? What did they say?
If your medical problems seem to be ongoing, you probably need a lawyer to help.
Since you have previous medical problems, they may use that against you, (or try to) Also, those first x-rays sometimes don't show the whole story. MRI's or ultrasounds, etc. may be necessary. Happened to me once.

Others should be by here to give better and more advice than me. Those are just some thoughts.

JETX

dstewman said:
The old lady was given a ticket and is at fault.
The fact that she was given a ticket does NOT show fault. That can only be determined by the insurance company(s).

Can I be reimbursed for the customizations?
Can you?? Of course you can. Will you?? Only if the insurance company feels that the 'customization' increased its value. For example, a $1000 'flame paint job'.. probably will NOT be recompensed. A new engine, might be.

Towing expenses?
Yes.

rental car?
Maybe. Depends on insurance policy.

Medical Bills?
Reasonable bills should be compensed.

What all am I entitled too?
You are 'entitled' to recover damages necessary to return you to your condition as it was immediately prior to the accident... plus reasonable pain and suffering.

What should I do? How do I get started?
File a claim with the others driver insurance. Any further steps depends on what happens after that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">