• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What should I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RedSummerSun

What is the name of your state? VA

My small car was recently side-swiped by a large company truck that sustained damage to the front and side of it, and scraped the side of my car badly and knocked off the mirror, all damage behind the front wheel (other than the scuff of the trucks tire against my rim). The driver of the truck was very rude along with the cop. The cop treated the collision as if it were nothing and favored the story of the other driver, falsifying the police record with an inaccurate diagram,listed no witnesses despite that I had a passenger in my car, and didn't distribute any tickets. The company's insurance took 2 weeks before even trying to contact me, after I had left several messages to speak with them. They sent someone out to take pictures of my car, after another week , even he said it looked like the other driver was at fault. However, they never sent an estimate of damage, or even acted to file against my insurance, yet when I called back, they rudely told me they weren't going to pay, despite the pictures (which plainly show the other driver was at fault), because of the police report claiming it was my fault. I have now been out of a car for nearly TWO months. It's been parked in designated "over-flow" parking by my neighborhood eversince, however last week it was involved in a hit-and-run type deal. My neighbor informed me and called the police, as she saw it. The woman that turned out to be the driver walked down the street when some neighborhood kids told her they saw her hit my car. She claimed a black truck had hit my car, and had hit hers also, that hers was knocked onto the curb, ect., but then said, "I didn't hit your car,my car has been parked all day, but if you really think I did, I'll pay for it" and carried on as such until the police showed up. She said she drove a car that fit my neighbor's description so I asked her where she parked it and I went to look at it; it was not knocked up on a curb as she said, because it was parked in her driveway . Sure enough there was Paint the Color of My Car on the bumber and the bumper was crushed in on the side appropriate to my assumption of what had happened. The cop agreed however the driver changed her story and kept lying to the cop. It turned out that the woman driving did not have a driver's license, was uninsured, was driving a car not legally registered to anyone from her house, much less her, aswell as having license plates from another vehical illegally on it. The police however only wrote her a ticket for no operator's license and reckless driving. My vehical, though was already damaged was still able to be driven, is now pretty much totaled. The damage on the side is significantly worse, it starts further back and is serverly deeper,smashed the running board off in 3 pieces, and the tire that meerly had a scuff and was possibly out of allignment was ripped off, along with a portion of the connecting axel, snapped the breakline , and ripped the front drivers side of my front bumper off. The vehical being front wheel drive could never be fixed 100% the way the damage was inflicted, and even the tow company was astonished at the damage and suggested it was totaled. The woman driving has made no effort to contact me, and she doesn't have insurance for me to claim it to. My insurance said they can't do anything but file it under uninsured motorist but there's a posibility I won't be compensted fully for the price of my car. The DMV investigator has not responded to any of my calls and I am still without a car.
My father suggested I take them both to small claims separatly, for the original repair cost to the first incident along with proving it was not in anyway my fault, and for the second towing cost (75$) and the cost of my car totaled. I can't afford a rental car or even to buy a replacement or anything near a replacement, and I really need the transportation soon as possible. Any advice or suggestions would be a fantastic help, and greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Last edited:

teflon_jones

You should have contacted your insurance company about the first accident instead of waiting for the other insurance company to do something. You should still file a claim for that accident with your insurance if you haven't passed the time limit to do so.

If you have passed the time limit, then you'll need to file a small claims case against the driver and/or owner of the truck.

For the second accident, take your father's advice and file a small claims case. This is the only way you're going to get any money.

ecmst12

There isn't a time limit to file with insurance other then the statute of limitations, though they will want to know why it took you so long to file.

The passenger in your car is not an independant witness, he/she is a biased witness and since the passenger will pretty much always give the same story as the driver, the police don't bother getting statements from them usually. A witness on the police report would be an UNINVOLVED party that could give an objective account.

When the drivers of each car give different accounts, and there is no evidence or witnesses to indicate which one is lying, they call that "driver vs driver" and will usually deny the claim from the other person. If you have collision coverage on your insurance, you can let them fix your car and try to go after the other driver's insurance later. If you don't, then small claims court is your only recourse.

RedSummerSun

I guess I forgot to mention that, but I did claim the first to my insurance but i only had liability so they said all they could do was refer to a body shop.

Assuming I file to go to small claims, whom should I file against for the first incident, the company that owned the truck or their insurance? Also,should there be any problem collecting from the first incident in small claims if the company or their insurance finds out about the second incident?

Thanks for explaining the rest, I really appreciate it.

alnorth

Did the insurance company hit your car?

You always sue the other driver, if you win, then his insurance company will finally be forced to pay. The only time you sue an insurance company is when your insurance company refuses to pay for something that was covered, like if you had full coverage and your insurance company still didnt want to pay.

RedSummerSun

Did the insurance company hit your car?

You always sue the other driver, if you win, then his insurance company will finally be forced to pay.
Now that you mention it, that makes perfect sense, but should I go after the driver or the company liable for the truck she was driving?I understand it was she that hit me, not the company, but they own the truck..? Sorry if this question sounds dumb too, I'm pretty new to this, this was my first series of accidents and I'm still pretty shook up and frazzled about it all.
Thanks again everyone.

FlyingRon

The "statute of limitations" has no bearing on when you can report things to insurance companies. It only has a bearing on actions brought in a court.

YOUR insurance company most likely has much shorter limits on filing claims to your own property. You should have reported the accident immediately. Al North gave you the best bet. If the SOL hasn't run on the case, you can file in court against the other driver/company.

alnorth

Now that you mention it, that makes perfect sense, but should I go after the driver or the company liable for the truck she was driving?I understand it was she that hit me, not the company, but they own the truck..? Sorry if this question sounds dumb too, I'm pretty new to this, this was my first series of accidents and I'm still pretty shook up and frazzled about it all.
Thanks again everyone.
Sue them both

RedSummerSun

YOUR insurance company most likely has much shorter limits on filing claims to your own property. You should have reported the accident immediately. Al North gave you the best bet. If the SOL hasn't run on the case, you can file in court against the other driver/company.
I reported them both to my insurance within an hour or 2 of each. But since I only have liability, they won't do anything for either. So far they recommended a tow-truck for the second incident.

I'm calling the DMV investigator later today and plan to file for the first incident shortly after if possible. I think I'm going to add them both on the case incase one falls through.

Would it be more sensible to claim the second as uninsured and hope they give me the value of my car or sue them aswell?

ecmst12

Do you have a police report for the second incident confirming that the person who hit your car was not identified? If not, they will not let you use your uninsured motorist coverage. They don't have to just take your word that it was a hit and run.

RedSummerSun

The second incident the driver returned to the scene, before the cop got there, but the cop wrote that she left the scene of the crime, then scratched it out sometime after leaving and the time I got the accident report. I have a feeling this will have to go through court.

As for the first incident, I went to file and the magistrate asked why I was whining to him, shouldn't I be filing to internal affairs? I was utterly confused, and still am for that matter.. Is it true? could I file to my city magistrate, or must it be the one the incident occured in?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">