• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What should I expect to happen to me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jookla

I was involved in an accident, and I believed my adjuster rejected the claim by the other party. As such, the other party is hiring an attorney for this case.

What should I be prepared for, and what should I do?

What is the name of your state? CA

jookla

Thank you for your reply Court Clerk.. If my insurance company lost the case, what are the chances that I would need to pay for the court damages?

If the other party is suing for medical damages above what my insurance covers, and won the case - Will I be required to pay for the extra damages?

I'm pretty worried about how the case would end up, and how it will affect me even though my insurance company is currently handling this issue..

fcobarr

Post some info about the case, injuries sustained by the other party (to the best of your knowledge) and what your policy limits are. Then, someone may be able to give you a better idea.

Yes, if they sue, and a judgement is awarded higher than your policy limits, then you are responsible for the difference. However, depending on the circumstances, many personal injury cases settle before going to trial.

Give more details, and I'm sure more people will contribute to the thread.

ecmst12

If you are sued, your insurance company will defend you. If they lose, they will pay up to your policy limits. You would be responsible for anything awarded OVER the policy limits. But it's all a bit premature to be worrying about that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">