• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What steps should be taken?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

5M1MUS

What is the name of your state? California

My wife's car was parked in her parking space at her apartments. The owner of the space next to us was parking his car and put a deep scratch in her front fender. He left a note, saying that he was sorry and that he would pay for repairs. My wife got three different estimates on body repair plus a note detailing what was damaged and what was needed to fix it, and gave the man the lowest estimate. He replied that he didn't have the money to pay for it, and that the price was "outrageous". He also did not leave any of his insurance information.

My wife's insurance agent said that they wouldn't do anything until she paid a $500 deductible to get her car fixed, but that even if she did get it fixed, there wouldn't be any surety that the at-fault driver or his insurance company (if he is, in fact, insured) would pay for the damages, or that she would get reimbursed for that amount.

What would be our standing, legally, or the next steps we should take to get money for the amount of the estimate? Remember, he left a note stating that he would pay for repairs, she did get three different estimates on repair costs, and there is an "implied contract" between them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">