• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What would happen?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TCool

What is the name of your state? WI

Here is the deal:

I bought a new vehicle and decided to give my old on to my dad since he's having some financial issues and his other car broke down. Plus, he's been letting me live with him rent free for the past few months, so I thought I'd do him that favor. He did not want to switch the car to his name right away because of the costs, so I figured I would take that risk since I trust him and he is a very responsible driver (the car is uninsured). Now, he has decided to let his girl friend drive the car to work since she doesn't like to drive hers in snow. I told him I would prefer if she did not drive the car because she is irresponsible and a horrible driver (plus it's winter in WI). Well, he still allowed it, I'm going to have another talk with him about it, but it seems he is letting his girl friends immaturity affect him. So, I'm going to make it very clear that she does not have permission to drive my car. If she still takes it to work and happens to get in an accident what kind of responsibility would I have towards the damages she causes if I made it very clear she did not have my permission to drive it? And, could my dad get in trouble if he allows her to drive it without my permission if she gets in an accident?

I am going to be transferring the title to my dad, but I have to go to the DMV to get another title since I lost the first. So, until I can get it out of my name I'm worried my dads girlfriend will crash it. I really don't want to do anything drastic and cause my dad problems because he has done a lot for me in the past 8 months. So, I'm going to base my decision of whether or not to allow him to keep driving the car and trust he will not allow her to drive it anymore on what you guys say. If it's bad news for me I'll probably just take the keys.

Thanks for the help.

ecmst12

It is the OWNER'S responsibility to make sure the vehicle is insured. GET INSURANCE. It's your you-know-what on the line if there's an accident. Get insurance and list her (and your dad) as a driver. You gave the car to your dad, I doubt your lack of permission for the girlfriend is going to stand up in court. And you WILL get in trouble for letting anyone drive your car uninsured. Minimum insurance on an old car won't cost too much, you should get it no matter WHO is driving the car.

TCool

Well, I understand I'm responsible. However, legally and technically I did not give him the car yet(correct? title is in my name, registered to me). It is still in my name, so how would it not stand up in court if someone is driving MY car without MY permission? Would they just assume she has permission since I'm giving my dad permission? (btw, not questioning your knowledge, seriously curious)

About insurance, I can't afford to insure on a car I'm not driving. I understand the risk here, and like I said I'm willing to take that risk with my dad driving the car. I let my dad know I didn't want her driving it while it is in my name, so if she does drive it couldn't that be considered stealing? Anyway, I'm going to get the car out of my name asap.

Thanks

ecmst12

If you can't afford to put insurance on the car, then get dad to do it. If HE can't afford to insure the car, then you need to take the keys back and stop letting him drive it.

If you give permission to dad to drive the car, and basically give custody of the car to him, then he is allowed to then give permission to GF to drive the car. Your permission is not required and you can't put "conditions" on your permission. If you give dad the keys, then he's allowed to give them to someone else.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">