• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

where to go from here...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

angell4891

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

My husband was rear-ended last night and received cervical strain, knee and back injury, as well as right arm and shoulder injury. An ambulance was called and he was transported to an out of area hospital. He was driving my car and the car was not drivable and was towed after the accident. The driver of the other vehicle was issued several citations and had his vehicle impounded. I've tried to contact several lawyers to find out my rights but none are willing to talk to me due to the person that hit us was not in a company car. I was told that there isn't much I can do since the person that hit us did not have insurance. I'm finding it hard to believe since it's a state law to have automobile insurance in the state of Louisiana. My husband is not looking to make anything more than what has to come out of our pockets for damages to the car, towing fee, as well as medical fees. We had liability on our vehicle but unfortunately not uninsured coverage. Any advice would certainly be appreciated.

~Angell4891

Last edited:

Lynx 36

If you did not have uninsured motorist on your policy it's very simple. You have to sue them directly f/ your damages, or you can call the clerk of courts in your county, find out when they are to appear in court and show up f/ their court appearance.The judge will probably suspend license until restitution is made.

The stat not in your favor is that most people that don't have insurance also don't have any money. It could take years f/ you to collect if ever.

Lastly, you could wait until about 2 A.M., grab your sledgehammer head over to their house and pound the crap out of their car and trailer. If you caught you will probably only get charged w/ misdeameanor vandalism w/ the representation of a fine lawyer.

angell4891

As tempting as a sledgehammer sounds, I would never do that to someone. It's just not worth it. It's frustrating that the person that hit my husband looked like he didn't have a care in the world and didn't sweat the accident in the least bit. But, I guess it's because he knew we couldn't touch him. It's really a shame when they pass a "state law" that "all drivers" need to carry at least liability insurance on their vehicles, and when they dont and cause the accident with injuries, nothing serious happens to them. Meanwhile, the victims of the accident has to cover all expenses. Who's really being punished in these cases? Sure, we should've had uninsured motorists, but to carry such a thing after the state passes a law, in my eyes, is soo not right. I know, some things we just have to deal with. Thanks for the help though.

~Angell4891

rmet4nzkx

While the person who hit you may look like they have no assets, you may want to check with the county recorder to see if they own any real property as that may be an asset you could attach if you won a lawsuit, also, if they are/were employed, perhaps they have an IRA, 401K or retirement, that way even if you took them to small claims court you might still have a chance to collect your judgement. Hopefully, you have medical insurance to cover the medical costs.

In the future get uninsured coverage, more than the minimum.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">