• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Where and who to sue?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

enrio600

What is the name of your state? NY
But acccident occured in New Jersey, another driver hit me while merging,
I don't have collision liability on my policy. other driver insurance rejected the claim
Can I sue his insurance in small claims court?
Also I'm in New York, the other party in Georgia, accident occured in New Jersey,....
What small claims court do I go to ?
Where I'm located or where the other party located or where accident occured?

Thanks in advance

lwpat

You will sue the person and can sue either in GA or NJ. I assume that NJ will be easier for you. His insurance company will have to defend but will probably settle with you the day before trial. Check with the magistrate in NJ for the forms and limit on small claims.

enrio600

You will sue the person and can sue either in GA or NJ. I assume that NJ will be easier for you. His insurance company will have to defend but will probably settle with you the day before trial. Check with the magistrate in NJ for the forms and limit on small claims.
Thanks lwpat, one thing I dont grasp here : Does insurance co contractually obligated to defend their insured against small court claim?

Also do I have any recource other than going to court?
Is the 3rd party insurance claim denial could be reversed?

Betty

The ins. co. will defend their insured in court up to the insured's policy limits. They may settle out of court. Did you report the accident to your ins. co.?

enrio600

The ins. co. will defend their insured in court up to the insured's policy limits. They may settle out of court. Did you report the accident to your ins. co.?
I did, my insurance co didn't offer me much help though in filing 3rd party claim, being inexperienced with this kind of stuff I didn't know if I should've
asked them for a specific help

lwpat

Your insurance company will not get involved unless the other person makes a claim. They cannot give you any legal advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">