• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Where's the justice?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mary777

WI
Hi!
My father-in-law was riding his bicycle when he was hit by a automobile. The driver of the vehicle was arrested for drunk driving.
Since then we have learned that this will be the drivers 4th or 5th offense of OWI. This is my father-in-laws 14th day in ICU.
The driver of the car is now out on bail and able to drink in the bar. It was never stipulated on this person's bail agreement that this person not drink while out on bail.
Question 1:
What are my families recourses against this person who has a long history of traffic violations and probably without insurance not to mention bail jumping.
My father-in-law has been struggling for life and this person has the freewill to drink, drive(even without a license) and hurt someone else.
Question 2:
How does one go about getting penalties against drunk drivers changed. I feel the drunk driving penalties are not strong enough and apparently this person has proved it.
Could the state of WI be sued?
Taking one day at a time and hoping for a positive turn around in ICU.
Mary

Last edited:

You Are Guilty

mary777 said:
Question 1:
What are my families recourses against this person who has a long history of traffic violations and probably without insurance not to mention bail jumping.
My father-in-law has been struggling for life and this person has the freewill to drink, drive(even without a license) and hurt someone else.
Answer 1: Being that this is a legal forum, it's always a pretty good guess that a lawsuit is going to be the answer.

mary777 said:
Question 2:
How does one go about getting penalties against drunk drivers changed. I feel the drunk driving penalties are not strong enough and apparently this person has proved it.
Answer 2: Have you ever considered running for public office? You sound like the kind of person Winsconsin needs to set it back on the right track...

mary777 said:
Could the state of WI be sued?
Answer 3: Well, technically, you can sue the State, the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus and my third grade math teacher, but that still begs the question, for what?

M

mary777

Thanks for the reply

WI
Thanks!
I have consided running for office but the public scares me.
WI drunk driving penalties are so lacks no wonder there are several repeat offenders.
Mary

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">