• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

who determines who is at fault?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

krissi00

I was involved in an auto accident. The accident occured at 10:30pm, 40' from an intersection. I had turned left going south from the intersection in the right hand lane of a four-lane. In that lane was another car which had stalled. They had no lights on, but claim to have flashers. The other driver claimed to have been trying to restart their car when I hit them from behind. I was under the speed limit, but still unable to stop in time. I served to the left, causing by front passenger side to be damaged and his rear driver's side. He drove right,to pull up on the grass beside the road after i hit him. The police station refuse to say who is at fault, saying i must send the report to the state capital. The driver of the other car is constantly calling and harrassing me. I have no insurance. Can/Will they rule it my fault because i have no insurance? shouldn't the police dept. make a statement?

Krissi00
Alabama

[Edited by krissi00 on 01-02-2001 at 10:22 PM]

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

krissi00 said:
I was involved in an auto accident. The accident occured at 10:30pm, 40' from an intersection. I had turned left going south from the intersection in the right hand lane of a four-lane. In that lane was another car which had stalled. They had no lights on, but claim to have flashers. The other driver claimed to have been trying to restart their car when I hit them from behind. I was under the speed limit, but still unable to stop in time. I served to the left, causing by front passenger side to be damaged and his rear driver's side. He drove right,to pull up on the grass beside the road after i hit him. The police station refuse to say who is at fault, saying i must send the report to the state capital. The driver of the other car is constantly calling and harrassing me. I have no insurance. Can/Will they rule it my fault because i have no insurance? shouldn't the police dept. make a statement?

Krissi00
Alabama

[Edited by krissi00 on 01-02-2001 at 10:22 PM]
My response:

The police won't make a statement because the police didn't see the accident. They can only write down what the driver's say. Ultimately, the only person that can say who was at fault, with any legal authority, is a judge. Eventually, you will get to that point, because the other driver, or their insurance company, will be suing you for all of the damages.

But, if you want to know, from the way you describe the accident, I think you were at fault.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">