• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who do you sue?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? The Lone Star State...a/k/a Texas!

Here is my dilemma....

1) I was driving my school bus (small bus)in the twilight hours of March 27, 2007 in Dallas. It was dark and drizzling rain.

2) I was proceeding southbound on a street in the left lane. There was a car a little ways ahead of me (not even 50 feet) in the right lane traveling southbound as well. The car started to swerve, but still stayed in its respective lane. Wisely, I backed off another few feet.

3) Suddenly, this car makes an illegal U-turn. This car is in my lane of traffic now and I tried to get out of the way. However the car kept coming, thus forcing me into a collision. This happened at 6:30 a.m.

4) A sheriff happened by about fifteen seconds later to protect the scene. He asked me if was I fine. After talking to the other driver of the car, he called on his radio to instruct his dispatcher to call 911.

5) At the same time, I called my dispatcher to tell him to call 911 as well. One of my co-workers happened by as well. She also told my dispatcher to call 911.

6) The passenger got out of the car, came to my bus, and went inside. I had the passenger door opened to check for damages, but I was still seated. She kept yelling profanities about 'it was my fault' and kept putting her hands on my right arm and shoulder, when I had asked her to stop. She smelled of booze.

7) The driver never got out of the car. She stayed there until the paramedics arrived.

8) The firemen came first. With the assistance of the sheriff, they got me out of the bus to walk, which I could not. They then helped me back in the bus.

9) The paramedics arrived at 6:42 a.m., 12 minutes after the accident. I was then put into the ambulance. I told them I need to wait until the Dallas police officer came on to the scene so I could tell them to give that driver and passenger sobriety tests, as the passenger was smelling of booze and the driver drove erractically before the collision. The paramedics said they didn't have time and took me to Baylor Med. Ctr. I arrived in the ER at 7:00 a.m.

10) When DPD finally saw me in the ER. it was 8:30 a.m., two hours after the accident. I told the officer everything...and repeated it at least three times. The officer never tested the women for booze.

11) I had been out on WC from March 27 to this day. I am seeing a medical doctor, a chiropractor, an orthopaedist and a neurologist.

12) The driver was ticketed for FMFR (no insurance) and no licnese. The car was towed from the scene and my bus was driven back to the bus lot by one of my other co-workers.

13) From the PR, the car that the woman was driving was not hers.

14) Here's the sticky part...the guy who was on the PR as the owner said that the car was no longer his.

15) My doctor (chiropractor) did a little digging on Public Data.com and found that the guy was still the owner. He contacted the lienholder. The lienholder told us to call another lienholder (I guess they bought to car at auction or something). The 2nd lienholder only gave me the name of another man that they say is the owner of the car that hit me.

16) I looked up that 2nd man's # and left a message. He never returned a phone call.

17) Man #1 is still listed as the owner, but Man #2 owns the car, according to the 2nd lienholder.

18) I do not have UM, UIM or PIP on my car...I only had liability. An atty. told me to see if I could collect from the UM/UIM coverage from the school bus I was driving. I called their ins. co. and the guy that handles that said the only thing that all the buses have are liability fleet coverage.

19) I have a bulging disc (C7-T1), misaligned vertebrae (T1-T5). Those vertebrae are pushed over slightly to the left nearing my left shoulder blade. I also am aving problems with my neck, shuolders, chest, and left arm (which could be from nerve compression due to the heriantion and the misaligned vertebrae). There are times that it hurts so badly that I can't go to sleep at all on some nights. Then on occasion I would have what I call "freeze spells", meaning that my neck and left arm would lock up on me and I can't move my head, jaws to open my mouth, or move my left arm. The pain during these spells are horrible. Also, I have them in the thoracic spine where the vertebrae are misaligned, causing bad chest pains. When the pain in the back goes away, or lets up some, the chest pain goes away and I could function enough. I also have pain in the right knee where i really can't walk on it at times, requiring me to use a cane or an electric shoppping cart when out shopping. I got a handicapped placard as well.

20) I am a single parent and I feel my 10 year old son suffers emotionally because he sees his mom laying in bed, not driving unless it was really necessary, and he cries when he hears me screaming in pain because of those freeze spells. I am still in therapy, but I have little improvement.

There are the following factors involved:

*There is the matter of the unlicensed driver driving an uninsured car

*There is the matter of the intoxicated passenger that kept putting her hands on me...she didn't slug me or anything, but she wouldn't stop touching me, especiall when I made repeatesd requests to stop

*There is the matter of owner #1 who says the car is not his, but his name is still on the title

*There is the matter of owner #2 who is said to be the owner, according to lienholder #2, but owner #1's name is still on the title

*Lastly, there is the matter of the Dallas Police that didn't arrive on the scene until 7:38 a.m...over one hour after the accident and over thirty minutes after I was taken from the scene via ambulance (who, according to the PR was notified of the accident at 6:13 and came to the scene at 6:42). The officer did not talk to me personally until 8:30...TWO HOURS AFTER THE ACCIDENT and I find that unacceptable!

My questions are these:

*Which one do I sue? The driver, the passenger, the legal owner, the supposed owne...or all of them?

*What do I sue for?

*Due to the unacceptable delay in response time by the DPD, do I sue the PD or the City? Or both of them?

*What are the basis someone can sue for what is termed "loss of parental consortium"?

I called to the US District Court and I was told that if my damages exceed $100K, then I can file in Federal court.

I know about subrogation, as I have dealt with WC five times in the ten years I had been with this company.

I also know about the classic "well, if they don't have insurance...how do you expect them to pay you" line.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

alnorth

*Which one do I sue? The driver, the passenger, the legal owner, the supposed owne...or all of them?

*What do I sue for?

*Due to the unacceptable delay in response time by the DPD, do I sue the PD or the City? Or both of them?

*What are the basis someone can sue for what is termed "loss of parental consortium"?

I called to the US District Court and I was told that if my damages exceed $100K, then I can file in Federal court.

I know about subrogation, as I have dealt with WC five times in the ten years I had been with this company.

I also know about the classic "well, if they don't have insurance...how do you expect them to pay you" line.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You need a Personal Injury attorney. They would probably take about 25-30% or so of what they collect, but 70% of what they can get is probably going to be a lot more money than 100% of what you can collect alone.

If the defendants all have no money, and neither the driver, nor the passenger, nor the owner have any liability insurance, then you could have a hard decision. If that turns out to be the case, you could also have a hard time getting a lawyer to proceed without being paid a fee if there's likely no contingency available for them to get paid. It may be throwing good money after bad, but the alternative is to basically let them walk away.

Assuming there is money or insurance available or you decide to proceed anyway, then at a minimum you should sue several people. The driver, the passenger, and both suspected owners. Its easier to drop someone from a lawsuit than it is to add someone later, so youll want to make sure you hit everyone before the statute of limitations runs out. Hopefully the owner of the car will have insurance.

You could try to add the police department and city if you want, but I really doubt you are going to be able to show that they failed to perform their duties, AND this failure worsened your injuries. You'd have to prove both, if the cop did something wrong but there are no provable damages, then its "no harm, no foul". This is especially difficult because a cop was there within 15 seconds, you were in the ambulance in 12 minutes, and you were taken to an ER in about a half hour. The "delay" you are complaining about is the cops getting your side of the story from the hospital, but what does that have to do with your injuries? If their delay in speaking with you at the hospital and failure to test the driver for alchohol did not have anything to do with your injuries, I dont see any damages from the cop or the city at all.

Ask your lawyer about "parental consortium", he or she should have a better idea on how much that may be worth in the local courts. The lawyer will also know where to file in your area to have the best chance at a high judgement.

How much to sue for? There's no set formula, but in general, you should always sue for more than you would be happy with. Once your treatment is completed and your medical bills have reached a final total, you will obviously start by sueing for that amount. For pain and suffering, one rule of thumb would be to figure out how much money you would be personally happy with, and then triple or quadruple it. Your lawyer should also be able to let you know if your number is unrealistic. As you already understand, if you collect anything from the defendants, you'd have to reimburse the WC company, and keep the excess (probably whatever pain and suffering the lawyer didnt take).

Last edited:

CdwJava

The-Cruel-Angel said:
The passenger is in no way responsible for the collision unless someone says he grabbed the wheel and turned the car in front of you ... and, if the collision is not the other driver's fault, a suit against anyone will be moot.

The driver will be the party most responsible, and you might be able to hit up the owner's insurance for damages, but state law may limit the owner's liability for damages inflicted by the driver.

*What do I sue for?
Your damages.

Neither. Response to collisions or even crimes are a political issue. There is no law that requires them to respond in a timely manner or that they even conduct an investigation. Collision reporting - while often required in the case of injury collisions - are, for the most part, simply the gathering of info at public expense for the benefit of insurance companies.

Besides, they had nothing at all to do with your injuries. Even had they decided the other driver was DUI it would still do nothing to minimize your damages.

This can be very detailed ... Google the term and add your state, and you will find a number of answers. The best bet is to consult a personal injury attorney.

Of course, if the other driver is uninsured and has no significant assets, you may be in the position of putting out good money after bad.

Good luck!

- Carl

racer72

Where was your state's worker's comp insurance and why was it not involved if you were injured on the job?

That's the thing. Work comp is involved. I know about the fact that WC has the right to be reimbursed.

I need to know who to sue when I am released.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Sue the driver and anyone who may be an owner, even if they say they're not.
The passenger and the police had nothing to do with your injuries.
This is all information that you have already been given, but you asked again ;)

moburkes

That's the thing. Work comp is involved. I know about the fact that WC has the right to be reimbursed.

You realize, don't you, that you're assuming that the at fault driver has more than the minimal amount of insurance, right? And, that they have some assets to go after, right?

alnorth

I recommended sueing the passenger as well because from the story, the OP is apparently going to argue that the drunken passenger staggered to the bus and assaulted the OP after the accident, possibly worsening the injuries.

You realize, don't you, that you're assuming that the at fault driver has more than the minimal amount of insurance, right? And, that they have some assets to go after, right?
The driver was uninsured, but the driver was apparently not the owner. OP's injuries are hopefully covered by WC, but for anything more than that, the OP pretty much has to hope that the owner has insurance, or someone among the at-fault parties has money.

If no one has money or insurance, then this could be tough.

Last edited:
Thanks!

Thanks, guys! I appreciate the responses.

As soon as I am released, I will file suit against the driver and the owner(s) of the car only.

I got the answers I need!:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">