• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who is at fault?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Beta

This is regarding an accident in Cincinnati, Ohio. I was not involved, but my mother and i were arguing about who would be at fault and i would like to know who was right. Ok, here it is:

Car 1 pulls into the driveway of a residence. The owner of the car is there to drop off some furniture. The people in the house were told and knew that someone would be coming over with a few large pieces of furniture. The owner of Car 1 decides to use the bathroom before the furniture was moved. While she was in the bathroom, the owner of Car 2 was arguing with her spouse. It was quite obvious that both were very upset. After the owner of Car 1 was done, she and another person began to move the stuff into the house. After about 15 minutes, the argument between the owner of Car 2 and her spouse seemed to cool down and the owner of Car 1 was preparing to move the last piece of furniture into the house. At this time, the owner of Car 2 came running out of the house and got into her car. The car was started a second later and was then backed up very quickly. Car 2 braked just a moment before Car 1 was hit, but it wasn't soon enough, because the front end of Car 1 was smashed a little. Now who was at fault?

The cars were initially about 50ft apart and Car 1 is black and was in the dark. There were lights coming from the street and the front porch. When the owner of Car 2 came out of the house, motion lights come on in the back, but Car 2 was still in the shadow of the house. Car 1 backed up extremely fast and only braked because she saw the 2 people on the side of the car.

The police were not called because the two people did know each other. The owner of car 2 looked at the damages of car 1 for a moment and then left in a hurry down the street and did not return until after the owner of car 2 had left. The insurance information was exchanged later over the phone and an accident report was filed.

The owner of car 2 believes that the owner of car 1 is at fault because she didn't know that she was in her house and her presence should have been made known and she also believes that the owner should have had her parking lights on while parked in her driveway. Should the owner of car 2 had her parking lights on? Does the fact that the owner of car 2 did not tell the owner of car 1 that she was there make a difference? The owner of car 1 was very angry when she backed her car up, does that make a difference? What is your opinion on who is at fault?

Beta

iggy367

When monkeys fly out of my A..

Regardless of any notice or even exterior lighting, any Car 2 that I know of has something called reverse or backing lights and she is responsible for anything that car does, even if it slippped out gear and rolled into Car 1 without her even touching Car 2. Second of all, she's lucky Car 1 was there, she could have picked up speed and backed into a passing car, dog walker, jogger, furniture mover, neighbor bringing over some sugar, anything and have a much bigger problem than a dented bumper to worry about or be responsible for.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">