• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who is at fault when two cars back out of parking spaces ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kkalra

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

was backing out of my parking lot. After I have completed the pull-out and my car was at an angle of 60-75 degree to my parking space, the car (one space to the left) in the oppsite parking side started backing out and hit with the corner of his rear bumper into the middle of my rear bumper. The other car was barely 2-3 feet out of its parking space.

Due to the rear bumper getting pressed, paint has broken in an area of about 8-9 inches on my car. There is no damage to the other car (it had a rubber padding on the the bumper).

The guy admitted his mistake at that time that he only looked one side and started backing, offered to pay for the damages out-of-pocket and asked me to get an estimate. Estimate came to about $800 and now he says it was not his mistake (since its the back of both cars where collision happened and does not matter whose car was out of the parking space) and offering me $100.

Whose fault is it in this case - his or mine or 50/50 ? Is he liable for the damages (or part of) to my car ?

What options do I have ?
- file a claim on his insurance company ?
- file a claim with my insurance company and let them handle it ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">