• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

who has rights to auto - insurance co. or owner?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

reddog34606

florida - my husband was in an accident which resulted in his truck being towed from the scene. it was held in a salvage yard until an adjuster came to look at it. we have heard nothing from the insurance co. so we called them. they told us the truck was totaled and has been moved to another lot in another county. the girl whom we spoke with didn't even know where. my question is this - can they move the vehicle without consent of the owner? it is still our truck and we at this point don't even know where it is. we have not been in any contact with the insurance co. since first reporting the accident. something doesn't seem right. thanks for any help or comment.

racer72

Most likely the insurance company moved the vehicle to save on storage costs. They will be the ones paying the bill for storage so they can pretty much store in wherever it saves them the most money. And being as most state laws are the same, once an insurance company totals a vehicle, it no longer belongs to you. Who ever holds the title will have to turn it over to the insurance company or state. Insurance companies are required to hold totalled vehicles until one of two things happen. The first is the insurance company pays you off for the market value of your vehicle and it is sold at auction. Or you can buy the vehicle back from the insurance company, have the money for the vehicle deducted from the settlement and you get the rest. And whoever ends up with the vehicle will be required to have it inspected by the state before a new title will be issued. The insurance company should let you know where the vehicle is if you wish to retrieve any personal effects though. I would contact a manager, not a claims representitive, about the location of the vehicle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">