• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who is liable?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JadedEzzence

Damage exceeds coverage...

I reside in New Jersey.

Recently, I was involved in an automobile accident whereas I hit a parked car, which hit another parked car. I know I am viewed to be solely at fault eventhough another unknown vehicle was speeding from the opposite direction and caused me to swerve and hit vehicle no. 1 as I was turning-in turn causing the chain reaction.

My vehicle was totaled which the insurance company payed for. But now I found out that the other vehicle was totaled and the amout that their car is worth exceeds my liability coverage. My insurance company will pay them the limit of my coverage, but I may be sued for the remaining amount. Can this happen to me eventhough the other party has full coverage on their insurance?
Can their insurance company sue me for the remaining amount...should I go to court and fight the situation since I swerve to miss a vehicle that was speeding in my direction? It might be hard to prove this since the other vehicle didn't stop and there is no way of identifying them.

No one was injured and I know I am in a no fault state...does this have any bearing on anything. However, I believe that NJ only does no fault for personal injury.

Please can someone help me....thanking in advance.

Jaded

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">