• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who is liable?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kim Casey

My son was on a bicycle and hit by an automobile August 2005. The facts are that the driver was driving a car still legally owned by another party who had cancelled the insurance on said vehicle. The driver had no insurable interest on the vehicle as he didn't even have the title to the car. My son supoened the owner of that car to small claims court to sue for damages of the bicycle as it was not his. The judge told him he had brought the wrong person to court, i.e. he should have supoened the driver. Please advise
KC
PS, this was in Cache County, Utah

Last edited:

Litigation!

Kim Casey said:
My son was on a bicycle and hit by an automobile August 2005. The facts are that the driver was driving a car still legally owned by another party who had cancelled the insurance on said vehicle. The driver had no insurable interest on the vehicle as he didn't even have the title to the car. My son supoened the owner of that car to small claims court to sue for damages of the bicycle as it was not his. The judge told him he had brought the wrong person to court, i.e. he should have supoened the driver. Please advise
KC

US Law Only - WHEN POSTING A QUESTION, YOU MUST INCLUDE THE NAME OF YOUR STATE

mlk1978

Since your son was not in a motor vehicle, then the driver or the vehicle is probobly at fault. After all, it is the "drivers" responsibility to keep a close eye on the road at all times. Find the driver, take him to court and sue him! Let the judge determine who will pay (the title owner or the driver). Good luck!

MandyD

Kim Casey said:
KC
PS, this was in Cache County, Utah
You don't need our advice when the judge already told you what you had to do.

teflon_jones

mlk1978 said:
Since your son was not in a motor vehicle, then the driver or the vehicle is probobly at fault. After all, it is the "drivers" responsibility to keep a close eye on the road at all times. Find the driver, take him to court and sue him! Let the judge determine who will pay (the title owner or the driver). Good luck!
So by your reasoning, if you're driving down the street and I jump out of a tree in front of your car and you hit me, it's your fault? Please don't give legal advice unless you know what you're talking about!

It's entirely possible that this is entirely the cyclist's fault.

mlk1978

teflon_jones said:
So by your reasoning, if you're driving down the street and I jump out of a tree in front of your car and you hit me, it's your fault? Please don't give legal advice unless you know what you're talking about!

It's entirely possible that this is entirely the cyclist's fault.
As an licensed individual in the insurance industry (and working for a major insurance company), I indeed have come across a few of these cases. In fact in one case, a person DID walk in front of a car. The driver of the vehicle was held responsible regardless! The car hit the person, not the other way around! So you may have your own opinion on things, but as I experienced in a similar case, I find that my statement is true to the best of my legal insurance knowledge.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">