• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who owns this car?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

ms3076

What is the name of your state? I sold my car using a bill of sale and signed the "Owner" portion of the Certificate of Ownership over to "Max". "Max" doesn't have ownership tranferred to his name at DMV and instead "Max" decides to sell the car to "John" and simply has "John" sign the transferee portion of the Cerificate of Ownership. That very same day "John" who doesn't yet have insurance and who has not yet registered the car in his name at DMV now gets into an accident.

Who is the owner and perhaps liable in the accident? Am I still the owner since ownership hasn't officially been changed at DMV or since I signed a bill of sale with Max, is he the owner? Or is it John who Max had sign the transferee portion of the Certificate of Ownership?

Help!!

Z

zappy

Why do you do such dumb things anyway.......

YOU still own the car and will be sued.

The last time i bought a car the owner and I WENT to the Motor Vehicle office and signed the title over, and the bill of sale,he turned in his plates, and i got my new plates, right there...took all of ONE HOUR....

What is your problem in doing this?

OH no one has insurance on the car...duh stupid me.

M

ms3076

Reply to Zappy

Obviously you aren't very legally inclined... just spoke with an attorney who specializes in these matters (Auto injury) and the bill of sale releases me as the owner. (Our contract was valid and released ownership to the buyer). DMV simply requires that for record purposes, the new legal owner be indicated in the Certificate of Ownership so there is no confusion in the future as to the ownership. So I am in no way liable for accidents...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">