• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

who pays for the damages?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cjm7588

What is the name of your state? California

My wifes car was stolen on Christmas eve they have finally. The suspect is in custody and is cooperating with the police. The problem is it is a minor and he is a ward of the court. Who do we seek damages from after he is convicted?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

cjm7588 said:
What is the name of your state? California

My wifes car was stolen on Christmas eve they have finally. The suspect is in custody and is cooperating with the police. The problem is it is a minor and he is a ward of the court. Who do we seek damages from after he is convicted?
My response:

Your own insurance company. The State is immune from such claims, and his parents did not have custody or control over him at the time.

So, it falls on you and your insurance.

IAAL

racer72

And if you read the poster's original post, you will discover he carried only his state's minimum coverage. In this case SOL doesn't mean statute of limitations.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">