• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who pays for the Guardrail?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Rkrteel96

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma
I was needing some advice on who is to pay for the guardrail,
Last July I was in an accident in Ohio. I was employeed as a tractor trailer driver as a trainee the TRAINER was with me when I turned a corner too fast and the truck turned over on it's side hitting the guard rail and damageing it. I was ticketed for ( Failure to maintain reosonable control ). I was fired on the spot and sent home the company was very tight lipped about the whole thing and nothing more was said, However today I recieved a bill from the Ohio department of transportation ( A bit over four thousand dollars) For the repairs to the guard rail.
I was wondering doesn't the companys property casualty insurance pay for things like that? Or am I responsible for this bill
:confused: In Oklahoma

racer72

There are many methods for the funds to repair the guardrail.

1. The state/county/city pays. The taxpayers pay for for someone elses mistake. Won't happen. Taxpayers are tired of paying taxes for stuff like this and they are telling the politicians. Most places have ordinances that say the taxpayers will not pay to fix public property, the at fault party will.

2. The insurance company for the truck you were driving pays. Then your former employer has to pay higher insurance rates. This of course in not acceptable to either party. If the insurance company pays, they will sue the driver responsible for reimbursement.

3. The owner of the truck pays. It is already going to cost him big bucks to fix his truck. He will seek some kind of financial reparations, most likely from you.

4. The at fault driver pays. Yep, thats you. And you will soon get a bill for the repairs of the truck and trailer too.

I would suggest visiting a local attorney for advice. Things are going to get ugly in the future.

stephenk

you were an employee for the trucking company performing your job duties at the time of the accident. your former employer's insurance company is responsible for the bill. notify the Ohio Dept. of Transportation with the insurance information of your former employer (if you know it) or give them the name, address and phone of your former employer.

Also, send a copy of the bill to your former employer's risk manager requesting that they forward it to their insurance company. Send the letter certified return receipt.

Just like your ex-employer would have to pay for any damages you cause in an accident involving injury, they are also responsible for any property damage you cause while an employee.

Plus, they cannot comeback after you to pay them back since you would be considered an insured under their liability policy.

Good luck and get this to them ASAP.

R

Rkrteel96

A happy ending

Thank you for your replies, I was happy to learn that the company Is going to pay for the dammages. I called them early this morning and they were very understanding they requested that I send the bill to them and refer any more calls or correspondence to them. I, being and employee at the time of the accident was covered under their insurance policy and any dammages incurred would be their responsibility. This is a huge load off my chest I can finaly get back to my life with out wondering who is going to sue me next. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">