• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who really owns a car with 2 people on the title

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

west1959

Well they are boy friend and girl friend and are splitting up. So who gets to keep the car. She paid the down payment and has made more payments than he has. But he claims he is taking the car becausse he has paid more?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
west1959 said:
Well they are boy friend and girl friend and are splitting up. So who gets to keep the car. She paid the down payment and has made more payments than he has. But he claims he is taking the car becausse he has paid more?
The legal owner depends on how the title is actually worded.
The matter of who is entitled to the vehicle may be a question for the courts.

teflon_jones

Both own the vehicle. Either they need to work it out between themselves or one of the parties needs to sue the other party in court to establish ownership.

west1959

Can you elaborate on the wording of the title? Also if she decides to just let him have the car how does she get her name off the title?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
west1959 said:
Can you elaborate on the wording of the title? Also if she decides to just let him have the car how does she get her name off the title?
How could I elaborate on the wording of the title? I don't have the title.
But, to clarify - I agree that both people own the vehicle. However, when it comes to selling the vehicle, the steps that would need to be taken depend on the wording of the title.
In any case, if they can't agree, then the court would likely need to decide.

If she decides to just give him her portion of the car, then he would need to have the title changed to be in his name only. She will have to sign off on the paperwork for that.

ecmst12

And if she decides to let him have the car, I don't think asking him to pay her back the amount of money she paid into the car (at least a portion of it) would be unreasonable.

stephenk

ecmst12 said:
And if she decides to let him have the car, I don't think asking him to pay her back the amount of money she paid into the car (at least a portion of it) would be unreasonable.

No that isn't reasonable because she had use of the car during the time she was paying for it.

What would be the mature way to handle it would be to have the car appraised and one side pay the other side 1/2 of the current value in order to keep the car and remove the other off of the title.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">