• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who's at fault?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ty3236

What is the name of your state? CA

At a 4 way intersection in a shopping center parking lot, the east/west directions have a stop sign and the north/south direction have no stop signs. I come from the west direction and come to a stop sign. I see no cars and proceed to turn left.

A car comes from the north direction at a speed of maybe 25 mph and clips my back end.

At the stop sign I did not see any cars. There were actually cars parked along the side of the street which made it harder for me to clearly see cars coming from the North direction so I slowly inch past the stop sign and after increasing my line of sight to about 40 feet and seeing no cars, I proceed to make my left turn. Shopping Center parking lots have 10mph speed limits (I believe) and the other driver admitted going at about 30 mph.

I know the other driver has the right of way but if he was going the speed limit he never would have reached me in time to clip me. Who is at fault?

speed may have played a factor

You had the stop sign, you were going into on coming traffic. That puts you more in a negative light. Were you rear end? Did any witness come forward?

ecmst12

You have the majority of fault. Depending where you were hit, your insurance company may be able to assign a small percentage of comparitive negligence to the other driver, but the driver with the stop sign is always going to take most if not all of the blame.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">