• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who's responsible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

crash2004

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? MN

I live in a large apartment complex with garages underneath the apartments. There is a downhill slope when entering the garages. Tonight the slope was slippery from fresh snow that fell this afternoon. When entering the garage, the door was already open but started to close. We slid down the driveway and couldn't stop and slid into the garage door as it was closing. The drives, parking lots and walkways have not been taken care of since the latest snowfall... Who is responsible for the damage to the garage door and to our car....the apartment complex or us?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

crash2004 said:
What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? MN

I live in a large apartment complex with garages underneath the apartments. There is a downhill slope when entering the garages. Tonight the slope was slippery from fresh snow that fell this afternoon. When entering the garage, the door was already open but started to close. We slid down the driveway and couldn't stop and slid into the garage door as it was closing. The drives, parking lots and walkways have not been taken care of since the latest snowfall... Who is responsible for the damage to the garage door and to our car....the apartment complex or us?

My response:

The complex. It's their slope, and it's their responsibility to maintain the premises for the use of the tenants, and in a manner that the use was intended.

IAAL

HomeGuru

Something does not sound right. How could the garage door close that fast? Was there another car that entered before you and the door was closing after that car went through? Did you actually use your remote to open the garage door?

C

crash2004

HomeGuru said:
Something does not sound right. How could the garage door close that fast? Was there another car that entered before you and the door was closing after that car went through? Did you actually use your remote to open the garage door?
The door was already opened by the person who was exiting the garage as we were about to enter... We started to enter and the door began to close. My husband hit the brakes but slid on the ice and snow and the door hit the windshield. I pressed the remote as soon as I saw the door beginning to close but it didn't stop the door from closing...

HomeGuru

crash2004 said:
The door was already opened by the person who was exiting the garage as we were about to enter... We started to enter and the door began to close. My husband hit the brakes but slid on the ice and snow and the door hit the windshield. I pressed the remote as soon as I saw the door beginning to close but it didn't stop the door from closing...
**A: Ok, then in that case, it is your fault for not using the remote at the time your vehicle first entered at the top of the driveway. You tried to tailgate and beat the door and obviously that did not work.

C

crash2004

HomeGuru said:
**A: Ok, then in that case, it is your fault for not using the remote at the time your vehicle first entered at the top of the driveway. You tried to tailgate and beat the door and obviously that did not work.
We weren't tailgating...another car was exiting at the same time.. We passed each other...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">