• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Whose insurance covers....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kpepperz

What is the name of your state? IL

...a teen driver with divorced parents? I know typically the parent with whom the child lives typically carries the child on their policy, but then would that policy cover the teen on the other parents' vehicle? Or does the noncustodial parent ALSO need to add the driver to their own policy? My daughter is due to get her licence soon, and I was unsure how this is handled. Thank you.

Wizard of Law!

kpepperz said:
What is the name of your state? IL

...a teen driver with divorced parents? I know typically the parent with whom the child lives typically carries the child on their policy, but then would that policy cover the teen on the other parents' vehicle? Or does the noncustodial parent ALSO need to add the driver to their own policy? My daughter is due to get her licence soon, and I was unsure how this is handled. Thank you.

It's "handled" by calling your insurance agent and asking! Duh!

teflon_jones

The teenage driver needs to be listed on all policies of vehicles that she may be driving, regardless of which household she resides in.

Insurance follows the car, not the driver, so if she's listed on one vehicle's policy she will not be covered when she drives another car.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">