• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Whose Liable for wrecked scooter ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mls72Pa

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania. I was selling a 80cc scooter, a young couple called and stopped by to see it. I had another person who called later and said he would definitely buy it should the other folks pass on it. (so I didnt really care if they bought or not). Neither of the two owned a car and the husband wanted to buy the scooter for his wife so she could ride to work. They took the scooter for a test run around the block, the husband driving and that went well. The husband then asked the wife if she wanted to drive the scooter and she did so she took off down the street and when she rounded a small corner she ended up on the other side of the street. She tried to turn and hit a parked car on the opposite side of the street. She was taken to a local hospital and released with bruises and scrapes, no broken bones. The bike is badly damaged. Our insurance is paying for her medical bills and the damage to the hit car. The husband has not offered to pay for damages to the scooter and in fact is trying to lay blame on us for his wifes accident. Our insurance co says she was at fault, she operated the scooter without a permit as well. We feel they should pay for damages to the bike, the husband says thats not his responsibility, and he's glad his wife is still alive. (because we made the comment that our 17 year old can ride the scooter). My question: are they liable for damages to the scooter? thanks.What is the name of your state?

moburkes

Yes, since she damaged it, she is responsible for the repair or actual cash value if the repairs are more than the scooter. You will probably have to sue her in court if you don't have collision coverage on it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">