• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

why am i denied auto ins just bec my husb had DUI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

finadel

What is the name of your state? NJundefined
My auto insurance ends on Jan 15 and my insurer has denied renewal of my policy because my husband had his 1st DUI offense last yr
Unless I can provide proof that my husband (who still has his driver's license priviledges) is insured somewhere else (which he is not bec he gave up his car)
Or that he is no longer a member of my household [we are still married despite tabloid reports :) ]
the insurance co is not willing to renew my policy.
My husband never drives my car even before his DUI conviction. When he had his car, I didnt touch it either.

So what do i do in this situation? And what am I faced with?
I need some kind of enlightenment if you please...
thank you

Last edited:

teflon_jones

You need to either do what your insurance company has asked, or go to another company for auto insurance. It's within their rights to do what they're doing. They can refuse coverage, or put stipulations on covering you.

Sorry, but saying that your husband doesnt drive the car really doesn't mean anything. You might be the most honest person in the world, but the simple fact is that your husband lives in the same house with you and has access to the keys, so he's a risk (according to the insurance company).

Lynx 36

You could also ask them if they could exclude your husband from your policy. They may or may not do this. If they did, and he was driving your car there would be no coverage if there was an accident.

Who's Liable?

Most likely the reason is because of the previous post: your Husband had a DUI, and since you live in the same house, there is really NO WAY for you to %100 keep him from getting in the car and going somewhere...

It's not that he has a past DUI, its the fact that if it happened once, it will happen again(in the insurance's eyes)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">