• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Why Do Good People Get Screwed???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dodgeboy

PLEASE HELP SOON!!
I was in an auto accident which totalled my 2000 Caravan. The other driver admitted guilt and received the citation for running the red light.
Now the insurance company wants to give me fair market value (what is so fair about it?) for my van that I had made 3 payments on and only got to drive for 3 months. This isn't enough to pay off my loan.
I have tried being nice to them but now am getting to the point where I think I need to get a lawyer.
Should I go after the person who caused the accident or their insurance company?
This all happened in Virginia (where most idiots know that red means stop).

iggy367

Van-ginya

First, did you get Gap Insurance from the dealer or car loan Company? Gap covers your down money and might make up the insurance settlement difference without any major legwork. Second the insurance company you are with may have replacement cost coverage, double check it, this can apply anywhere from 3 months to 1 year and would give the amount to get a new 2000 or 2001. If all else fails you can in either case contact the other guys insurance company and have them make an offer then you don't have to wait for your deductible or excess rentals to come back later.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">