• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Why won't insurance co. pay...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

needhelp2k7

What is the name of your state? CA

We have been told that my father was involved (and died) in a solo car accident and the insurance co. has told us that it was his faut. I called to ask why they won't give us money and the representative said that ONLY if another party was involved in the accident would they pay us. So in a nutshell, the company won't give us any money because it was a solo accident.

That doesn't make sense. Can anyone help??? What should we do?

CourtClerk

What type of insurance did your father have?

What money are you looking for?

Did your father have life insurance?

ecmst12

If your father's insurance was liability coverage only, then it doesn't cover any damage to either his vehicle or his person in the event of an accident. His coverage was only for damage to other people's property or person that he was responsible for causing. He would need to have coverage for collision, medical payments, funeral expenses, etc, in order for them to pay out anything for damage to his car or himself.

needhelp2k7

thanks for the replies...

i'd have to take a closer look at the policy but the insurance co. has already partially paid the medical payments and given us money for the loss of the car...so is it safe to assume that my father had coverage for the collision - which would mean that the insurance co. should pay out the liability ?

CourtClerk

Yes, they should pay out the liability, but it wouldn't go to you, it would go to whoever's property was damaged as a result of the accident. So, if he hit a wall or something, they would pay the owners of said wall, or light pole or whatever.

Sorry about your father.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">