• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wide Turning Dump Truck????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

VanVlack

State of Oregon.

As I am driving down the road I meet up with a dump truck following another. After a few miles of following this truck for a few miles the truck swiftly changes all the way to the left lane (Oncoming traffic) over a double yellow line. Thinking that he is making a left turn onto the logging road I keep driving. The truck then slows down to the point witch we are side by side. Then at the point where I am almost ahead of him I see him turn into me. This is when my car losses control and hits a tree sideways and totals my car. After I open my eyes and look around to see what has happened I start screaming a few angry words and then notice that the dump truck is parked in a drive way 20 feet back up the road where he had hit me. Seeing that the driver was walking to my car I yell at him asking why he turned into me. His excuse was that he was making “a Wide Turn”. After telling him I though he was making a left turn he said that his right blinker was on and is still on.

After a pause I crawl out the passenger side door (Drivers was jammed) and brush off the glass that was shatter on me. I then inspect the damage of my car. The driver of the dump truck then tells me that he is going to call the police. After waiting the police and ambulance show and I am check for injures. I then talk to the police for 10 minutes and the question I am asked is if I had seen his blinker on. I tell him no and he goes to the truck and runs some kind of test to see if his blinker was on when he hit me and then talks with the driver for about 30 minutes. After he tells me that the right blinker had to be on during impact with my car I am then cited for “careless driving”

As for a blinker I remember seeing a left turn. Is this really evidence as he could have been making a left turn and the decide to turn backing into the right lane again witch he turned his blinker back on. Or shouldn’t I have seen a left turn anyways telling me he was moving into that lain.

Did I not have the right of way in the situation under exception “c”:
ORS 811.295 Failure to drive on right; exceptions; penalty. (1) A person commits the offense of failure to drive on the right if the person is operating a vehicle on a roadway of sufficient width and the person does not drive on the right half of the roadway.
(2) A person is not required to drive on the right side of the roadway by this section under any of the following circumstances:
(a) When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction under the rules governing this movement in ORS 811.410 to 811.425 or 811.808.
(b) When preparing to turn left in an intersection, alley or private road or driveway.
(c) When an obstruction or condition exists making it necessary to drive to the left of the center of the roadway, provided that a driver doing so shall yield the right of way to all vehicles traveling in the proper direction upon the unobstructed portion of the roadway within a distance as to constitute an immediate hazard.
(d) Upon a roadway divided into three marked lanes for traffic under the rules applicable on the roadway under ORS 811.380.
(e) Upon a roadway restricted to one-way traffic.
(3) The offense described in this section, failure to drive on the right, is a Class B traffic violation. [1983 c.338 §615; 1991 c.482 §15]
What is the turning radius of the dump truck? The tow truck that took my car away was the same length of the dump truck and was able to make the same turn like any normal vehicle.
811.355 Improperly executed right turn; penalty. (1) A person commits the offense of making an improperly executed right turn if the person is operating a vehicle, is intending to turn the vehicle to the right and does not proceed as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway:
(a) In making the approach for a right turn; and
(b) In making the right turn.
(2) The offense described in this section, improperly executed right turn, is a Class B traffic violation. [1983 c.338 §627; 1995 c.383 §62]
I was the one just driving in my lane. Is he not the one that hit me? Shouldn’t he have check before he went back into the lane? There are even laws for these kinds of vehicles to stay in the right lane because of this.
811.325 Failure to keep camper, trailer or truck in right lane; exceptions; penalty. (1) A person commits the offense of failure to keep a camper, trailer or truck in the right lane if the person is operating any of the vehicles described in this subsection and the person does not drive in the right lane of all roadways having two or more lanes for traffic proceeding in a single direction. This subsection applies to all of the following vehicles:
(a) Any camper.
(b) Any vehicle with a trailer.
(c) Any vehicle with a registration weight of 10,000 pounds or more.
(2) This section does not require the described vehicles to be driven in the right lane under any of the following circumstances:
(a) When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction under the rules governing this movement in ORS 811.410 to 811.425 when such movement can be made without interfering with the passage of other vehicles.
(b) When preparing to turn left.
(c) When reasonably necessary in response to emergency conditions.
(d) To avoid actual or potential traffic moving onto the right lane from an acceleration or merging lane.
(e) When necessary to follow traffic control devices that direct use of a lane other than the right lane.
(3) The offense described in this section, failure to keep camper, trailer or truck in the right lane, is a Class B traffic violation. [1983 c.338 §621; 1989 c.723 §18; 1995 c.383 §58; 2005 c.770 §7]
I’m 18 and don’t have the money to pay for the ticket and the insurens raise. I still have to buy a new car because of this. The hole thing happened very fast and I had never seen anything like this. Anything would be of help even if it tells me it is my fault. Thank you in advance.What is the name of your state?

DRTDEVL

What is the turning radius of the dump truck? The tow truck that took my car away was the same length of the dump truck and was able to make the same turn like any normal vehicle.
Not nearly as tight as a wrecker... Look at the tire sizes and you will see why the larger truck has a more limited steering ability.

I was the one just driving in my lane. Is he not the one that hit me? Shouldn’t he have check before he went back into the lane? There are even laws for these kinds of vehicles to stay in the right lane because of this.
Are there also not laws stating you cannot pass on the right? Are there not placards on most large trucks warning against the possibility of a wide right turn?

I’m 18 and don’t have the money to pay for the ticket and the insurens raise. I still have to buy a new car because of this. The hole thing happened very fast and I had never seen anything like this. Anything would be of help even if it tells me it is my fault. Thank you in advance.What is the name of your state?
Your age is irrelevant. You don't have to buy a new car, nor do you have to drive... It's a PRIVILEGE, not a RIGHT.

BTW: Yes, you are at fault.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">