• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wifes car hit in parking lot.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bripam777

What is the name of your state? MO

I have had good luck as far as accidents go so I do not really know how the procedure works when involved in one.

My wife and I stopped at a Subway shop to get some sandwiches to go and I left her in the car while I ran inside. After about 30 secs I hear our car horn blaring and I quickly go back outside and see a large white pick-up backing up into our car. He did some minor damge but luckily the airbags did not go off. I called the police on the cell phone but they said it was private property so they would not come out. We traded info on vehicle and insurance and I got his address and phone #. He works at one of our local hospitals and is a doctor. He was very embarassed and said he had just finished a 24hr shift. I told him no worry that is why we all (most all) have insurance. I then cintacted my insurance company (Progressive) and let them know what happened. He admitted to them he was completely at fault over the phone and let them know how sorry he was. They took all kinds of info as you can imagine. They are to contact me tomorrow. What are the next steps involved? My sister-in-law works for a reputable body shop and I will take it there in the morning to get an estimate. Do I need to go to several shops or can I just stick with one that I know will do it right?

Here is a pic of most of the damage...
http://www.affectionateframes.com/Crash-Pics-026.jpg

Last edited:

A

a1cr.a.w2002

wifes car

you have the option to go to any shop you want so i would take it to the ones who'll do it right i.e. your sister-in-law. :cool:

JETX

"Do I need to go to several shops or can I just stick with one that I know will do it right?"
*** Actually, you don't need to do anything (and do NOT take it your preferred shop- yet).

One question, why did you file this on YOUR insurance and not on his??? The problem here is, if your insurance handles it, you will have to pay your deductible AND get hit with increased premiums for the next few years (and/or face possible cancellation).

File your claim against HIS insurance company and let them handle the estimates!!

B

bripam777

My insurance ended up contacting his (State Farm) and they did all the quibbling and later my insurance company let me know that State Farm indeed will be taking care of it and it should be cut and dried. Later on State Farm agent contacted me and let me know they had a check cut already and were sending it out. Apparently they had already contacted the body shop I wanted to go to and they said it was no problem getting it fixed there.

One more question though.

If it takes a couple of days to fix it, my wife will be out of her car while it is in the shop and she needs one for her work, will the insurance company pay for that also? Lets say anywhere from 2-4 days... I have not signed anything yet so it is still negotiable at this point I figure.

JETX

"will the insurance company pay for that also? Lets say anywhere from 2-4 days... I have not signed anything yet so it is still negotiable at this point I figure."
*** They SHOULD reimburse for the rental car. Contact them and ask.... and ask what their allowed daily rate is.

A fair amount of people (on this forum) thought that a covered rental car allowed them to rent Corvettes and Ferrari's, then complained when they found out they didn't!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">