• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrecked motorcycle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AliceInChains02

What is the name of your state?Crosby, Texas

Here's the scenario. I wrecked into a tree that had been lying out on the street and MAY have been reported already (I need to talk to the neighbors, I think they said they reported it). Either way, I called today and asked the county maintenance place about it and they said they never received a report about it, which is hard to believe because I saw a constable phone it in and it was cut up in about 2 days. The tree had been there for at least a week, probably more like 2 and MIGHT have been reported, and also the street light by it was totally obstructed by tree branches. We pay good money and get incessantly harassed by homeowners associations about every little thing, so I think they should at least take care of a huge tree taking up a whole lane in a 1 way road. Do you think there's a good chance I'll be able to get something from the county if I pursue this?

S

shell007

First of all...how did you not see a "TREE" in the road and wreck into it? Even if it was dark...was your headlight not working!

If that was the case.....seems like you must have been driving with your eyes closed.

The tree had been there for at least a week, probably more like 2 and MIGHT have been reported
So...obviously you were aware of the tree prior to "wrecking into it". Right??

Do you think there's a good chance I'll be able to get something from the county if I pursue this?
Purse what? The fact that there was a large tree in the road and YOU didn't see it..and drove into it?

Maybe they should have removed the tree, but MORE LIKELY...you should have been watching where you were going especially if you knew it was there for at least two weeks!

Are you looking for the "county" to be your new personal ATM?

Attilio

What a stupid comment. I guess you have never been on a bike. You need time to react to what you see suddenly. Lets blame the rider, I guess he wanted to crash.

JETX

AliceInChains02 said:
Do you think there's a good chance I'll be able to get something from the county if I pursue this?
Nope. Unless you can prove that they knew if the hazard and failed to take appropriate actions, they have governmental immunity.

S

shell007

Attillo:

The tree had been there for at least a week, probably more like 2
The OP stated that the tree had been there for a at least a week probably more like 2...Therefore, he seemed aware of the "tree" prior to wrecking into it!

And don't talk to me about things you don't know re: any personal comments.

I guess you have never been on a bike.
I know plenty about bikes. An immediate family member was killed on one sooo...shut the H up!

If you disagree with me...that's fine.....that is why this is a forum, but respond to the OP...... not me!

AliceInChains02

Well, there was some SUV chasing me kinda and I was trying to keep a safe distance from them because they were ridding my ass. I wasn't really trying to lose them because we were in the suburbs and i didn't wanna drive TOO fast, but i was trying to keep an eye on them. i turned a corner that i have turned a few times before, and yes i knew the tree was there, but i had other things on my mind, like drunk hillbillies trying to run me over, and it just didn't register. like i said, i turned the corner, took a quick glance before the light really hit the tree, stupid on my part, i know, and checked my mirror to see if the SUV was turning also. they did, i looked up, the tree was 5 feet in front of me and i was just able to get away from the worst of it. i know there was a certain degree of carelessness in my part, but the road was dark from no street light, and my headlight hadn't quite hit the tree before i looked at my mirror. i still need to talk to these people and ask them if they ever made a report, but i don't think it would even matter since the county seems bent on lying about it or at least not filing any reports because i know the constable did in fact tell them about it or else it would still be lying there.

moburkes

Alice, I'm with the others. I'm not sure why you're not accepting responsibility for the accident. The tree shouldn't have been in the middle of the tree, period. However, you say that you knew it was there. What are you trying to get from the county? You say that it was the responsibility of the homeowners association. I'm confused. Why aren't you simply filing the claim with your insurance company and moving on?

You also say that you were being chased, which means that you weren't paying 100% attention to what was in front of you, which, as you know, can get you killed in a motorcycle. You probably were also speeding.

What are you looking for from the county?

Last edited:

AliceInChains02

moburkes said:
Alice, I'm with the others. I'm not sure why you're not accepting responsibility for the accident. The tree shouldn't have been in the middle of the tree, period. However, you say that you knew it was there. What are you trying to get from the county? You say that it was the responsibility of the homeowners association. I'm confused. Why aren't you simply filing the claim with your insurance company and moving on?

You also say that you were being chased, which means that you weren't paying 100% attention to what was in front of you, which, as you know, can get you killed in a motorcycle. You probably were also speeding.

What are you looking for from the county?
I knew it was there, I've seen it before, yes. I forgot about it in the heat of the moment. The tree isn't of an esteemed fame around here. It's just a tree. I didn't think much of it when I saw it. I quickly forgot about it until I wrecked into it.

I don't have full coverage and I just figured I shouldn't have to IF these people had already filed a claim, which I thought i heard them say they had done when I was waiting for the cop to come and they were sitting outside with me.

Why would you say that I was probably speeding? I might have been going 4 or 5 mph over the speed limit, but that seems pretty reasonable to try to get away from people that are tailing you. It's kind of dangerous to brake check someone on a motorcycle, I don't know if you've rode one before. Like I've said, I was PARTLY at fault for not paying complete attention, but I did give the street a quick glance before i looked into my mirror. You'd just have to see the street to understand. I think the county is partly at fault if there was a claim already filed, which it doesn't seem they will admit anyways.

But forget it, I've been reading posts on this website for a little while now and I mostly just see hostile people, probably cops, venting on people looking for help. I'll figure this out myself, I just wanted a second opinion. Thanks to all those who at least tried to help.

teflon_jones

AliceInChains02 said:
I knew it was there, I've seen it before, yes. I forgot about it in the heat of the moment. The tree isn't of an esteemed fame around here. It's just a tree. I didn't think much of it when I saw it. I quickly forgot about it until I wrecked into it.
So then it's your fault you hit it. Period.
AliceInChains02 said:
Why would you say that I was probably speeding? I might have been going 4 or 5 mph over the speed limit, but that seems pretty reasonable to try to get away from people that are tailing you. It's kind of dangerous to brake check someone on a motorcycle, I don't know if you've rode one before. Like I've said, I was PARTLY at fault for not paying complete attention, but I did give the street a quick glance before i looked into my mirror. You'd just have to see the street to understand. I think the county is partly at fault if there was a claim already filed, which it doesn't seem they will admit anyways.
Were these people tailgating you? Or chasing you? Who were they? Why didn't you just pull over and let them pass?
AliceInChains02 said:
But forget it, I've been reading posts on this website for a little while now and I mostly just see hostile people, probably cops, venting on people looking for help. I'll figure this out myself, I just wanted a second opinion. Thanks to all those who at least tried to help.
This site is also full of people who come here to ask questions, but don't want to hear the answers to their questions. People here get hostile when people don't want to listen to the correct answers to their questions.

teflon_jones

AliceInChains02 said:
AliceInChains02 said:
Were these people tailgating you? Or chasing you? Who were they? Why didn't you just pull over and let them pass?
AliceInChains02 said:
This site is also full of people who come here to ask questions, but don't want to hear the answers to their questions. JETX already gave you the correct answer to your question:
JETX said:
Nope. Unless you can prove that they knew if the hazard and failed to take appropriate actions, they have governmental immunity.

AliceInChains02

teflon_jones said:

This site is also full of people who come here to ask questions, but don't want to hear the answers to their questions. JETX already gave you the correct answer to your question:
How is it my fault? I may have forgotten about it, but that doesn't change the fact that they were neglecting their duties to keep the roads safe. If you want to look at it like I was riding, I hit it, so it's my fault, then that's true. I was controlling the motorcycle and I did steer it into a tree unintentionally, so it is my fault that I hit the tree. But shouldn't the county be responsible enough to keep the roads clear? That's all I want to know.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">