• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrecked my car in icy weather employer made me drive

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gregahoward1

Yesterday on Christmas eve, I wrecked my car. I was told by my employer that I had to come in to work that morning. That morning and the morning before that, the roads were extremely icy. So icy that gas trucks were not allowed to drive to gas stations. The business that I work in is wirless cell phone sales so my job is not a necessity to be at. Anyways, I didn't not feel comfortable with driving but i did, cause I don't want to lose my job. Once I pulled in to the parking lot at my office I hit a patch of ice and slid into a curb. My front bumper was cracked, radiator cracked, tire and rim damage. Is there anyway I can get my company to pay for this. I live in mississippi. Any advice would be great. Thanks, Greg. If you have any advice I can put in a letter that I'm writing them it would be appreciated.

nextwife

I drive on icy roads or snowy roads all the time. I can't imagine holding my employer responsible for the weather. The need to work doesn't cease just because there is some crappy weather. One drives at a slow and more appropriate speed - and pumps their brakes when they need to stop on ice. If you locked up your brakes YOU are at fault for not driving properly for conditions.

Had the sheriffs dept. or highway patrol ordered all non essential vehicles to stay off the roads that day?

Last edited:

gregahoward1

Well to make it more clear, I was driving at 3-5 mphs in the parking lot at my work. So I was not driving unreasonalbe etc... You might drive in these conditions on a regular basis, but I live in Mississippi. When it happens here it's like seeing a blue moon. And no the sheriffs dept didn't say for us to keep off the roads. But most businesses used common sense and shut down. Well thanks for your opinon, I'm curious to see some more.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

You're the only one at fault. You were the one driving. State law requires that you be under complete control of a vehicle that you're driving, and doesn't make any allowances for weather conditions.

IAAL

rmet4nzkx

HomeGuru said:
And you can't fault your employer for you seeing a blue moon or bad moon rising.
The moon wasn't quite full on Christmas eve, and it's mathmaticlly impossible to have a Blue Moon on Christmas eve, so that excuse is gone also.

So, I'll guess that OP should learn to drive safer in the company parking lot.

HomeGuru

rmet4nzkx said:
The moon wasn't quite full on Christmas eve, and it's mathmaticlly impossible to have a Blue Moon on Christmas eve, so that excuse is gone also.

So, I'll guess that OP should learn to drive safer in the company parking lot.
**A: Hmm, how much safer can one drive at 3-5mph? Maybe leave the parking brake on and not using the gas pedal?

S

smantas

wow

Met4 it's time you go back to doing laundry and baking cookies....it's quite obvious that you lack common sense about ANYTHING!

rmet4nzkx

smantas said:
Met4 it's time you go back to doing laundry and baking cookies....it's quite obvious that you lack common sense about ANYTHING!
More of the half baked, idiot dumb a$$ posting, don't you know a joke? Nor was I off on the phases of the moon, in fact about the time I posted my comment re the full moon, the Full 'Beaver' Moon was fading from view Sunday, December 26, 2004 at 7:07 AM. YOU are the one who lacks common sense. So OP had no excuse for failing to drive with due caution, he was in the parking lot afterall.
I haven't baked cookies in years :D

S

smantas

There goes another useless post by met4

He was doing 3 to 5 miles an hour you idiot....how much slower can he go without completely being stopped???.....Yes, I do think baking cookies is your calling in life.....you apparently cant read nor comprehend ANYTHING!

rmet4nzkx

smantas said:
He was doing 3 to 5 miles an hour you idiot....how much slower can he go without completely being stopped???.....Yes, I do think baking cookies is your calling in life.....you apparently cant read nor comprehend ANYTHING!
Wrong again, OP said, "Once I pulled in to the parking lot at my office I hit a patch of ice and slid into a curb. My front bumper was cracked, radiator cracked, tire and rim damage." and later, " I was driving at 3-5 mphs in the parking lot at my work. So I was not driving unreasonalbe etc... You might drive in these conditions on a regular basis, but I live in Mississippi. When it happens here it's like seeing a blue moon. And no the sheriffs dept didn't say for us to keep off the roads."
FACT: OP believes he may have been going 3-5 mph, but he doesn't know how fast he was going for sure or how fast he was sliding.
FACT: OP caused severe damage, far more severe than 3-5 mph would cause.
FACT: OP is not used to driving in icy conditions in Mississippi, although he safely traveled the city streets and there were no warnings to not drive by law enforcement.
FACT: OP was surprised by the ice, most likely the parking lot was not as well traveled as the city streets and thus has ice still. for that reason and the other facts I would guess that OP was going faster than claimed when he entered the parking lot, let his guard down, hit the ice and crashed his car. I would also guess that OP is looking for someone to blame besides himself rather than explain it to his insurance company.

I don't know what your problem is, or why you are stalking me, but enough is enough.

S

smantas

""""FACT: OP believes he may have been going 3-5 mph, but he doesn't know how fast he was going for sure or how fast he was sliding.
FACT: OP caused severe damage, far more severe than 3-5 mph would cause.
FACT: OP is not used to driving in icy conditions in Mississippi, although he safely traveled the city streets and there were no warnings to not drive by law enforcement.
FACT: OP was surprised by the ice, most likely the parking lot was not as well traveled as the city streets and thus has ice still. for that reason and the other facts I would guess that OP was going faster than claimed when he entered the parking lot, let his guard down, hit the ice and crashed his car. I would also guess that OP is looking for someone to blame besides himself rather than explain it to his insurance company""""

#1 so you are 100% absoulutely positive that he never once looked at his speedometer (do you know what that even is?)

#2 depending on the car, YES you can do severe damage at such a low speed ....it all depends how the car hit the curb...

#3 once again, you are A$$uming out your ass.....the company had not bothered to make the parking lot safe for it's employees?.....that could be argued, but again you are way to stupid to see the facts ....

""""I don't know what your problem is, or why you are stalking me, but enough is enough."""""

Oh, so now I am stalking?......paranoid or what?....I just wanted to see your responses to other posters and I can see you are just as ignorant with them as you were with me....

I hear a kichen with an oven and cookie dough calling you.....obviously law is not your calling..... sweety!......hang it up!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">