• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrong police report.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fociwm

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD

My wife had an accident several days ago. At the accident site, the police officer listened to my wife and the other party. But today we got a copy of police report and it only mentioned the other party's argument. What should we do?

Specifically, my wife and the other party both argued that they saw green light in the intersection. But the police officer said that my wife turned on red light, which is only the other party's argument.

Is it possible to fix this error? Or is it possible to amend/supplement it?

ecmst12

It's possible that the officer talked to witnesses who confirmed the other driver's account. At any rate, it's not necessary (nor likely possible) to change the PR. She just needs to give her statement to both insurance companies and let them figure out who is at fault. If both parties contributed to the accident, then in MD neither can recover from the other, even if one vehicle was MORE at fault then the other.

fociwm

It's possible that the officer talked to witnesses who confirmed the other driver's account. At any rate, it's not necessary (nor likely possible) to change the PR. She just needs to give her statement to both insurance companies and let them figure out who is at fault. If both parties contributed to the accident, then in MD neither can recover from the other, even if one vehicle was MORE at fault then the other.
Thank you for reply. But at the accident site, the police officer asked a truck driver who was there, and the truck driver said he didn't see the accident and he couldn't testify anything. So, there was no witness on the site.

The problem is that my wife didn't do anything wrong and the fault is on the other party. But because of the police report, the insurance company of the other party doesn't want to pay us. So, we need to fix this error. How could the police officer write in such a way? It is completely wrong report.

Is there really nothing that I can do?

ecmst12

The problem is that it's her word vs the other driver's word, so most likely both insurance companies will deny the other driver's claim. Unless there's an independent witness who can verify or the officer can cite some reason he found your wife at fault instead of the other driver. It's not the police report alone but the totality of the evidence that matters.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">