• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrongful death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

debralgaide

What is the name of your state? I live in Arizona

I just moved here several months ago

My brother was struck by a car and killed afer getting out of his vehicle after having an accident with two separate vehicles.

He was walking across the street and a 75 year old man struck and killed him. This happened in October of 2000. Am I to late to file a claim against this man and if not, do I have to use a lawyer in Florida?

Z

zappy

I hate these situations.....

You ALWAYS assume the pedestrian is NOT at fault.

Maybe your brother did something so stupid the driver couldnt avoid hitting him.

Like walking across the road without looking both ways.

sorry to be so cruel, but you have to be completely neutral when investigating the accident.

D

Danny Graves

I'm not sure ... but I think you can represent yourself in any state. I know you can't legally represent other members of your family unless you have a law degree...they must represent themselves. For example, if you and your brother's wife both filed a suit against someone, you would each have to represent yourselves (even if one of you did most of the legal work).

Also, states have different time limitations for filing lawsuits. Many of them have one year limits. Search on the Internet to find out the time limit in your case. Some law firms in your state may have web sites that give this information under frequently asked questions. If you live in Arizona but the accident happened in Florida, I assume Florida rules would apply.

I am not an attorney so my comments are for reference only and should not be relied upon in anyway. Damn... that sounds like a lawyer don't it? Sorry!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

debralgaide said:
What is the name of your state? I live in Arizona

I just moved here several months ago

My brother was struck by a car and killed afer getting out of his vehicle after having an accident with two separate vehicles.

He was walking across the street and a 75 year old man struck and killed him. This happened in October of 2000. Am I to late to file a claim against this man and if not, do I have to use a lawyer in Florida?

My response:

Not enough information. Age of brother. The State where brother was killed; i.e., Arizona or Florida? Was brother married? Where are the parents? Why was your brother walking in the street?

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">