• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrongful death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Janice2u

my daughter, her husband and two children had gone to fla. to live. They were staying with her inlaws until they found their own place. My granddaughter fell into their pool and drown. No precautions had been taken to safegaurd the pool. Are they liable for this tragic accident. I lost a very dear grandchild. They were only there from Dec.99 to Mar.2000 when it occurred.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Janice2u said:
my daughter, her husband and two children had gone to fla. to live. They were staying with her inlaws until they found their own place. My granddaughter fell into their pool and drown. No precautions had been taken to safegaurd the pool. Are they liable for this tragic accident. I lost a very dear grandchild. They were only there from Dec.99 to Mar.2000 when it occurred.
My response:

Yes, the parents are the only ones who have "standing" to sue. However, the parents may be found partly to blame by a court or jury for a failure to control their child, and to know where the child was, and to protect their child from danger.

IAAL

JETX

I agree with IAAL, your daughter and her family could possibly take legal action against her in-laws.

But, there is something here that you may not realize... you are devastated by the loss of your grandchild, but don't you think the in-laws are also... and they have the added issue of 'possible guilt'. I am sure that this is a terrible tragedy for ALL in the family.. not just you. I suggest that you consider all factors in this tragedy before trying to issue blame.... you may just lose the family that you have left.. and that would just increase the tragedy of this incredible loss!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">