• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful death??? Negligence???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

trudyh

This is my first time on here. Here's the situation. My brother just died recently. What happened is that he was at a bar and had too many to drink. He dropped a beer on the floor and it broke. He picked it up and punched it and his hand was bleeding. They cut him off at the bar, and he stumbled out the door by himself headed home. He then fell into the rear view mirror of a truck in the parking lot (we know that because they found blood and hair on that mirror), then he got back up and walked across the parking lot to an area that was covered with ice, and he slipped and fell and died. He wasn't found until the next morning at 6:30 am. I am totally pissed for a few reasons. 1) My house is about 200 feet from that bar and they know my name and phone number because I just worked there for three weeks when they needed a bartender. Also, my parents live about 100 feet past my house, and they know their name and phone number, they could have called either one of them and they would have went to get him. 2) My second issue is that my land adjoins this bars parking lot, and they kept piling snow into the corner of the lot until the pile was at least 10 feet high. I told them to move it because it would melt down my driveway, but they didn't. It was water that run off that pile that froze and caused a massive sheet of ice that killed my brother. Here's my dilemna. My brother was married, but had just signed his divorce papers, but hadn't sent them back to his wife. My brother had no will. Can I sue these *******s, or can my parents sue them, or what's the story here. Any help would be appreciated because if I feel like burning the building down! Thanks alot.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

trudyh said:
This is my first time on here. Here's the situation. My brother just died recently. What happened is that he was at a bar and had too many to drink. He dropped a beer on the floor and it broke. He picked it up and punched it and his hand was bleeding. They cut him off at the bar, and he stumbled out the door by himself headed home. He then fell into the rear view mirror of a truck in the parking lot (we know that because they found blood and hair on that mirror), then he got back up and walked across the parking lot to an area that was covered with ice, and he slipped and fell and died. He wasn't found until the next morning at 6:30 am. I am totally pissed for a few reasons. 1) My house is about 200 feet from that bar and they know my name and phone number because I just worked there for three weeks when they needed a bartender. Also, my parents live about 100 feet past my house, and they know their name and phone number, they could have called either one of them and they would have went to get him. 2) My second issue is that my land adjoins this bars parking lot, and they kept piling snow into the corner of the lot until the pile was at least 10 feet high. I told them to move it because it would melt down my driveway, but they didn't. It was water that run off that pile that froze and caused a massive sheet of ice that killed my brother. Here's my dilemna. My brother was married, but had just signed his divorce papers, but hadn't sent them back to his wife. My brother had no will. Can I sue these *******s, or can my parents sue them, or what's the story here. Any help would be appreciated because if I feel like burning the building down! Thanks alot.
My response:

I'm sorry for your loss.

I'm also taking a really big chance to respond to you because you're obviously very upset, and anything I say to you might make you even more upset.

But, at the risk of you coming back here, and pounding the crap out of me, I must tell you that you, or your parents, have no "legal standing" to sue anyone.

Since he was married, and the divorce wasn't final, his wife is the one who takes his entire Estate (whatever he owned), and is the one who has the choice of whether or not to sue anyone. She's the one with all of the "rights" in this situation.

Try to take some time to grieve for your brother, and try to calm down. We didn't do this to you, or your brother. If I could be there for you, to hold you, and let you cry on my shoulder for however long it takes, believe me, I would.

Take care of yourself, and try to be good to your sister-in-law. She's the one who holds all of the cards.

IAAL

[Edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE on 04-12-2001 at 09:08 PM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">