• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrongful tickets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

whattodonowz

What is the name of your state?I live in michigan. Yesterday I received 2 tickets in the mail, one for failure to yield and the other for leaving the scene of an accident. The car is in my name, but I let my daughter drive it to high school. At the day and time of the accident, my daughter was in school, varified by attendence records. the car was in the high school parking lot, varified by survallence cameras at the high school with the license plate in clear view when zooming in. I, or my daughter clearly didn't commit this crime, but I don't want to drive 70 miles away from home to have to clear myself of something I clearly didn't do, since the accident happened 70 miles away. Is this proper police policy, to send out tickets without any evidence. I figure someone must have given the police a wrong license plate number. Any advice would be appreciated. thank you

RolandOne

Gather all your evidence and report it to your insurance agent. I was accused of a hit & run and cleared by the police, but the stupid insurance company of one of the victims refused to believe me and would not procure the full report themselves. Called a lawyer, but he told me to report it to my insurance agent. They didn't know what to do either, but the claims dept. did. The big difference between mine and yours is that I wasn't ticketed, but the police did have a wanted on my truck.

Don't drag it out, if you have the proof you say you do then present it to your insurance co. Unless your being charged then you will may a lawyer.

That is how my name got involved, some witness gave the police the wrong plate number. Just happened that they thought it was a dodge and then when they ran my plate, wow a dodge. We have our man. But inspection of the truck proved it wasn't in any accident.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

LdiJ

whattodonowz said:
What is the name of your state?I live in michigan. Yesterday I received 2 tickets in the mail, one for failure to yield and the other for leaving the scene of an accident. The car is in my name, but I let my daughter drive it to high school. At the day and time of the accident, my daughter was in school, varified by attendence records. the car was in the high school parking lot, varified by survallence cameras at the high school with the license plate in clear view when zooming in. I, or my daughter clearly didn't commit this crime, but I don't want to drive 70 miles away from home to have to clear myself of something I clearly didn't do, since the accident happened 70 miles away. Is this proper police policy, to send out tickets without any evidence. I figure someone must have given the police a wrong license plate number. Any advice would be appreciated. thank you
You really are going to have to drive the 70 miles and attend court to prove that your car wasn't involved in the accident. You will need copies of the survaillence tapes from the school and the attendence records. You REALLY don't want a ticket on your record for leaving the scene of an accident. That can cause you all kinds of problems.

It probably would also be wise to report this to your insurance company, again with the proof..."just in case".

teflon_jones

Unfortunately, you'll have to drive the 70 miles to fight this. Bring all of your evidence to the hearing and if everything is as you say, then you should be cleared of this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">