• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrongfully charged

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Laisan

What is the name of your state? New York

I was travelling straight and running an amber light through an intersection when a car in the opposite direction making a left turn hit me on the side and I hit another car on my other side. The officer charged me for failing to stop on a red based on the statement of two witnesses that were apparently there at the time of the accident. The telephone numbers to the officer were given by the person who hit me. The third person in the accident originally said that he saw me run a amber light but then changed his statement and said he wasn't sure. I'm very sure that I ran an amber light. Is there anything I can do to get justice for being wrongfully accused?

P

PaulE

That's what the court system is for. Everyone involved will have to appear in court, including the witnesses. Depending on what they say will depend on the outcome. Other than that, it's your word against the other party involved in the accident. The officer can't truly testify to what happened because he was not there. The ticket was writtne based on the witness statement.

L

Laisan

I understand that I have can fight the tickets but my insurance still won't believe that I didn't run a red. There are alot of flaws in the witnesses. They did not appear at the time of the accident, one witness appear 10 minutes later but to pass out his number. The officer called the witnesses using the numbers provided by the person who hit me. When asked 'what if they were the witnesses were friends of the person who hit me?', the officer just replied 'well, I don't know then'. My car is totalled and I'm physically hurt. I'm not satisfied with how the officer based his charges on. Is there anything else I can do for them to reopen the case, in a way where my insurance will also believe me?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">