• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

yes, i know it was my fault, but..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gtrsam67

What is the name of your state?tn O.k. I was stopped at red light yesterday, and when the light changed, i proceed through, when all of a sudden a new mini cooper runs the red light on the crossroad and knocks me into another car. My car was a 1990 merc grand marquis. It is history. no injuries to any parties.Now here's the biggie "I have no license or insurance". Now, the officer gave me a couple of citations and off I go walking home. Before he let me go, he said "just because I didn't have a DL that doesn't mean that I don't deserve to get compensated for the loss of a vehicle". He also said he really wasn't supposed to give out legal advice, but I should call an attny. So what do you think?

Happy Trails

gtrsam67 said:
What is the name of your state?tn O.k. I was stopped at red light yesterday, and when the light changed, i proceed through, when all of a sudden a new mini cooper runs the red light on the crossroad and knocks me into another car. My car was a 1990 merc grand marquis. It is history. no injuries to any parties.Now here's the biggie "I have no license or insurance". Now, the officer gave me a couple of citations and off I go walking home. Before he let me go, he said "just because I didn't have a DL that doesn't mean that I don't deserve to get compensated for the loss of a vehicle". He also said he really wasn't supposed to give out legal advice, but I should call an attny. So what do you think?
Even though you were driving illegally that doesn't make you at fault for the accident.

Have you contacted the insurance company of the at fault driver?

S

seniorjudge

You should be compensated for this. Contact your insurance company. Do not talk to the other guy's insurance company unless your insurance company or your lawyer tells you it is okay.

You did NOT cause this accident.

Happy Trails

seniorjudge said:
You should be compensated for this. Contact your insurance company. Do not talk to the other guy's insurance company unless your insurance company or your lawyer tells you it is okay.

She didn't have insurance

So contacting an attorney to help her fight for her would be the way to go.

Poster,

If you would have had insurance, the company would be doing the talking and fighting for you.

S

seniorjudge

seniorjudge said:

Sorry...let me change that to: You should be compensated for this. Contact the other guy's insurance company. Be exceptionally careful when you talk to the other guy's insurance company. You did NOT cause this accident.

Get a lawyer.

Lynx 36

I disagree about calling an atty. Here's why:

1. Wait and see what the other insurance company will offer you first.

2. If you hire an atty, you're going to pay the atty more than you would get out of your car. A 90 Marquis just isn't worth that much.

3. There are no injuries.

4. Lawyers are generally unsuccessful argueing the value of property damage on a car. Insurance companies provide plenty of documentation to back their offer and hiring an atty would not get you more money. The few times I settled PD claims when one had an atty I never gave more money than I initially offered. I just tell them to sue if they want and I'll see them in court. (Which would cost the person more money). Funny, they always settle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">