• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

15 year old Capital One credit card

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IN

My son applied for (and received) a Capital One credit card 3 years ago, when he was 15. Naturally, the card didn't last long, especially since he was unemployed. He is now being sued for almost 5 X the limit he had on the card. Since we are his parents and he was a minor, are we responsible for this debt?

Thanks, janet

tranquility

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IN

My son applied for (and received) a Capital One credit card 3 years ago, when he was 15. Naturally, the card didn't last long, especially since he was unemployed. He is now being sued for almost 5 X the limit he had on the card. Since we are his parents and he was a minor, are we responsible for this debt?

Thanks, janet
I am uncertain as to if this applies, but:
http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/incode/34/31/4/34-31-4-1
Except as provided in section 2 of this chapter, a parent is liable for not more than five thousand dollars ($5,000) in actual damages arising from harm to a person or damage to property knowingly, intentionally, or recklessly caused by the parent's child if:
(1) the parent has custody of the child; and
(2) the child is living with the parent.
As added by P.L.1-1998, SEC.27.
But, there are larger worries. Did he submit a fraudulent application? A 15-year-old can have his life ruined with a credit fraud accusation even as a child.

He says that he answered all the questions truthfully, except the one about his age, and there he added 3 years to show that he was 18. Is the contract even valid since he was a minor? Thank-you. janet

TigerD

I'm not entirely convinced on this.

The debts may be voidable based on the minor's incapacity to contract.

The OP should consult with an attorney.

DC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">