• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

21 year Judgement - Lien

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

myttoo

What is the name of your state? IL

I am trying to refinance my home and the title company came back with a Judgement/ Lien from 1982. Does anyone know how long a judgement lien can be enforced in IL. The Judgement was revived in 1989, dormant for a few years then revived again in 1997.
However I thought it was only enforceable for a certain amount of years. Does anyone know the answer????:confused:

Ladynred

A domestic judgment in IL is good for 20 years.

When you say it was 'revived' what exactly are you saying ? With a 20 year SOL on a judgment, and it doesn't look like it can be renewed, then at 21 years the thing sould be dead and buried.

M

myttoo

21 year old judgement lien

a judgement in IL is good for 7 years unless revived. It goes dormant after 7years but it can be revived at any time after 7 years or at any time thereafter within 20 years of its entry.

Since the 1982 judgement was again revived in 1997 I was curious if it was still enforceable until 2004 (which would be 22 years) Or does it die either way at 20years??

Why in the heck is the title company showing it when it is 21 years old???

Thanks for your help- I hope your dead and buried statement is true.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">