• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accused of Check fraud.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

angie1234

California

Heres my sticky situation. I had an apartment with 3 roommates, recently I moved in with my boyfriend. I left some of my belongings in one of my roommates bedroom for her to hold for me. she then later ended up renting her room out to a different person who agreed to hold my stuff and some of my roommates stuff there temporarily. About 4 weeks ago i went back to pick up my stuff and give the landlord a 30 day notice. I took all my things gave notice and left. the roommate who was living in the apartment called me and told me she would be able to make rent and needed some help. I told her to contact our old roommate but she couldn't reach her. i then told her that her best bet was to find someone to move into her bedroom asap and have them pay rent. the other 2 roommates asked me if i could help them turn in rent since they were both going to be out of town, i agreed. one gave me a check and the other gave me cash. before turning their rent in the roommate who was moving out told me she got money from her mom and could turn the rent in. I didn't see anything wrong with that so i gave her 400 cash and then wrote her a check from my account for the other 400 since the check the roommate gave me was in my name and this roommate said she would rather me write one out to her. (she never cashed my check) week goes by and the first roommate finally appears, she said someone stole her checks (which were in the room) and forged a check to our apartment company for the $1,100. since then the roommate i gave the rent money to cleared out her stuff and the old roommates things from the apartment and split. now the old roommate is claiming that either I or the other girl forged a check with her name. I know it wasn't me since i don't need the money. i have never been in trouble with the law, i have a job, and i am starting nursing school in the fall. the roommate i gave the rent money to just got a DUI she has to pay for, she lost both her jobs and claims to have no money. I am just scared that this is going to come back on me for being such a trusting idiot. Im not sure what i should be doing.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
California

Heres my sticky situation. I had an apartment with 3 roommates, recently I moved in with my boyfriend. I left some of my belongings in one of my roommates bedroom for her to hold for me. she then later ended up renting her room out to a different person who agreed to hold my stuff and some of my roommates stuff there temporarily. About 4 weeks ago i went back to pick up my stuff and give the landlord a 30 day notice. I took all my things gave notice and left. the roommate who was living in the apartment called me and told me she would be able to make rent and needed some help. I told her to contact our old roommate but she couldn't reach her. i then told her that her best bet was to find someone to move into her bedroom asap and have them pay rent. the other 2 roommates asked me if i could help them turn in rent since they were both going to be out of town, i agreed. one gave me a check and the other gave me cash. before turning their rent in the roommate who was moving out told me she got money from her mom and could turn the rent in. I didn't see anything wrong with that so i gave her 400 cash and then wrote her a check from my account for the other 400 since the check the roommate gave me was in my name and this roommate said she would rather me write one out to her. (she never cashed my check) week goes by and the first roommate finally appears, she said someone stole her checks (which were in the room) and forged a check to our apartment company for the $1,100. since then the roommate i gave the rent money to cleared out her stuff and the old roommates things from the apartment and split. now the old roommate is claiming that either I or the other girl forged a check with her name. I know it wasn't me since i don't need the money. i have never been in trouble with the law, i have a job, and i am starting nursing school in the fall. the roommate i gave the rent money to just got a DUI she has to pay for, she lost both her jobs and claims to have no money. I am just scared that this is going to come back on me for being such a trusting idiot. Im not sure what i should be doing.
Speak with a criminal defense attorney. No-one else...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">