• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

address and debit/credit cards

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bhmnynj

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
New York

About a couple of monthes ago, a friend of mine ( who lives in China) asked me if he could use my address to receive some books sold on some website as the seller could only ship to address in the US. I'd like to help, so I said yes. I received some books and catelogs under his name and gave to him when he visited New York. But yesterday, I received one master debit card under his name sent to my address. Now I'm kinda concerned. If I gave this card to him, would I be responsible for the activities of this card? If I asked him to change the address to a PO box, would it make any difference? If it was a credit card, should I be worried?
I appreciate your help. Thanks.
BHM

Veronica1228

seniorjudge said:
The foreigner wanted a physical address in the United States to get a debit card.
But how does this affect the OP? Are they going to accuse him of being an accessory to fraud?

seniorjudge

Q: But how does this affect the OP? Are they going to accuse him of being an accessory to fraud?

A: I don't know. I just said it was a scam.

I couldn't begin to tell you who will get charged with what (criminal) or who will get sued by whom (civil).

Ladynred

If the credit card is in HIS name and YOUR info - SSN etc. is NOT connected to the account, then they can NOT hold you liable for HIS debts just because he's using your house as a mail drop.

So.. you need to be sure the credit card is NOT attached to YOU in any way other than an address. Pull your credit reports and be sure nothing strange has appeared.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">