• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

After a judgement who is able to seize my bank accounts?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Coit

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

About 5 years ago I lost my employment and struggled to pay the credit cards much less for food, so I ended up getting sued by Citicorp for a debt the following year. I had managed to get a job but it was only part-time and I never received a bank levy after the judgment and I also moved out of country thereafter. I want to know can only Citicorp levy my bank accounts or can someone they sold my debt to now levy because of that judgment?

Thanks for any information,

Coit

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

About 5 years ago I lost my employment and struggled to pay the credit cards much less for food, so I ended up getting sued by Citicorp for a debt the following year. I had managed to get a job but it was only part-time and I never received a bank levy after the judgment and I also moved out of country thereafter. I want to know can only Citicorp levy my bank accounts or can someone they sold my debt to now levy because of that judgment?

Thanks for any information,

Coit
Yeap, it can be sold and the thirty party can do whatever is legal to get the money.

Assuming Texas law actually dictates, you're actually lucky - it's probably the most debtor-friendly state in the country. They cannot garnish your wages, and the exemptions are pretty good.

(The only people who can touch your wages are the government agencies - think IRS, child support, etc.)

Be aware that you won't be notified until after the levy has already taken place (it defeats the object somewhat).

Jeran

Yeap, it can be sold and the thirty party can do whatever is legal to get the money.

Assuming Texas law actually dictates, you're actually lucky - it's probably the most debtor-friendly state in the country. They cannot garnish your wages, and the exemptions are pretty good.

(The only people who can touch your wages are the government agencies - think IRS, child support, etc.)

Be aware that you won't be notified until after the levy has already taken place (it defeats the object somewhat).
Wow, some helpful advice! That's good!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">