• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I still legally bound?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ColePey

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma

I have an attorney calling for Jefferson Capital stating my account from Aspen credit card has been turned over to them for collection. In searching, I find out Aspen is no longer in business (I was never notified of this) and that they are being sued by the FTC for illegal practices and fraud. Am I still required to pay the balance of this account?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma

I have an attorney calling for Jefferson Capital stating my account from Aspen credit card has been turned over to them for collection. In searching, I find out Aspen is no longer in business (I was never notified of this) and that they are being sued by the FTC for illegal practices and fraud. Am I still required to pay the balance of this account?
If this is your debt, then you are required to pay.

thelegalexpert

It sounds like Aspen sold their debt to Jefferson. Or perhaps it is the result of Aspen's filing for bankruptcy and Jefferson may be part of their own proceedings to collect debt to repay their creditors. Either way, you are still responsible for your debt. You can always call and try to negotiate with them. Just start low.

james8522

Aspen has been sued, but the debtors of Aspen still remain, and if not to Aspen, they will have to pay someone....atleast to the people who are now in charge of the closed company.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">